F250 timing belt/tensioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 timing belt/tensioners

My 2009 F250s are just over 1,000 hours and of course the timing belts looks perfect but plan to replace them anyway. The dealer says its a good idea to replace the tensioners while the mechanic is in there, says the springs can get worn out potentially causing the motor to skip.

The yamaha maint. guide does not recommend the tensioners to be replaced so looking for some opinions here.

thanks

My opinion is that the sales of tensioners is good for a dealers revenue stream.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 05-04-2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

haha yeah at $400 a piece it sure is.

Could I just insist that the tensioners be inspected (or show them to me).

I sure dont want to be cheap, but while researching this I cant seem to find a belt or a tensioner failure on these motors, have heard commercial guys go 3,000 hours without touching the belts if they look good.

Comment

Does the tensioner have a spring? Never removed mine and I cannot tell from the picture.

Not many dealers are worth a crap. I would rather talk to a mechanic with a good reputation.

I have heard of tensioners failing due to incorrect procedures being used when trying to replace the timing belt.
        Last edited by pstephens46; 05-04-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

recommendations are different from one dealer to the next. The one place says replace the tensioners while you are in there, dont want a problem way offshore, while the next shop says its extremely rare one goes bad, will just inspect it.

And one place says 3 hours per motor for the timing belt labor, other says only 2. Both reputable places.

All I know is the Yamaha manual says "inspect/replace as necessary". If they think it looks bad, I will go and look at the tensioner and make the decision.

Comment

You would think that if they sold a kit say for $200.00 , belt and tensioner, more people would buy them just for peace of mind.And they probably sell a lot more....

Comment

You could ask one of these people their opinion.

Outboards Master Technician | Yamaha Outboards

Not a smartass, well, sometimes I am.

But any part on an engine is subject to failure at any time. I haven't heard of many breaking other than someone trying to force one to release in the process of changing belt.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                You could ask one of these people their opinion.

Outboards Master Technician | Yamaha Outboards

But any part on an engine is subject to failure at any time. I haven't heard of many breaking other than someone trying to force one to release in the process of changing belt.
                *I know that list is NOT up to date at least at two locations. The MT that used sealer all over my WP was Glenn from Fishtale Marina. He and the other listed are NOT there anymore..

There's also two idler gears (part 26) for a similar engine,(don't know your EXACT model # to check) do they R&R those too?

***There's ONLY ONE tensioner*** (part #25) on this F200 : http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...LVE/parts.html

Inspection, as noted in the manual is the key word. Let them show you how the belts flopping around from lack of tension or the bearings are rough turning, loose, typical bearing failure...

IMO, call Yamaha headquarters in Ca, ask for tech.

They were able to help me with the balancer issue in my F150 (several different types)
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

IMO, call Yamaha headquarters in Georgia, ask for tech.
                  Fixed it for you.

Comment

just did a set.
                    motors had about 1259 and 1265v hours.
                    takes about 4.5 hours.
                    tensioners are spring loaded hydraulically dampened.
                    some never made 300 hours others have over 4000.
                    but that belt fits so dang tight it would not matter.

if you know what your doing and don't have to chat on the phone it can be done in 2.5-3 hours.
                    easy peasy.

Comment

was that for each or both?

also what kind of failure of the tensioner happened at 300?
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        was that for each or both?

also what kind of failure of the tensioner happened at 300?
                        There's only one tensioner on EACH engine BUT two Idlers on each..
                        Scott

Comment

the handful of F motors auto tensioners I have seen fail were due to the fluid leaked out.
                          no belt failures were caused but you will hear the belt slap.
                          the pair I did last week were 4.5 hours for both engines and a test run.
                          it is a simple job but if you screw it up you can destroy the engine.

Comment

There's ONE bolt that secures it to the block.

As noted, its hydraulic and spring operated. With an allan key, you unload
                            the tension, then put a pin in the square nhole hole to hold it open/loose...

As noted, the belt is still right there but you can now spin it and feel for bearing roughness, etc. Loss of hydraulics, you'll see the tensioner vibrate a bunch with the engine running.

The original one I replaced had approx .015" of "rocking play". The new one, maybe .003".

Also, it is VERY easy to screw up installing as the base (that bolts to the engine) can SLIP OUT" (with only 1/4") and screw it up.

A plastic zip tie around the base "arm"-mount, and the tension locking pin (keeping load off it for testing/belt change out) keeps bad things from happening.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X