Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
    Nothing to inspect there, it's done. Put that sawsall to the tank itself

Just did this job myself on my 82 aqua ccp. Removing the fill and vent lines is serious work, cause the foamed the bejesus out of it. I put a plastic Moeller in.
    Areed^^^. I have heard replacing the Aquasport fill and vent line is arduous. Luckily for me the previous owner replaced both of these lines and they remain in very good condition.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

I have seen more aluminum corrosion in my occupation then you can shake a stick at.

Good Luck
      And on a product that generally operates high up in thin dry air.

Folks are surprised when aluminum, dunked in salt water and generally kept in a warm moist salt laden environment all of the time, corrodes. I sometimes wonder how aluminum outboard motors last as long as they do.

Now certainly the different alloys employed have a bearing on matters. But...

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Manufactured date is 1988, 29 gallons. The "Const. Mat." is 090.

My guess the 090 is: 0.090" wall thickness of the aluminum. Not very thick for a boat tank...
        I think that is pretty much the standard wall thickness for aluminium boats tanks. Folks want cheap and light. A thicker alloy is contrary to what folks want.

What thickness are the wing skins of the aeroplanes that you work on? I came out of general aviation and went to work on air liners. What they called skin we would have called plate.

Wonder what the thickness of an Airbus A380 wing skin is at the wing root? It might not even be aluminium for all I know. More than likely, plastic.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 04-30-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I worked in a magnesium manufacture plant back in the late 70s.
          we also mixed alloys for others and shipped in pallets of ingots.
          it is supprizing what all is mixed together with mag to give different properties.

There were a group of Germans that came over to show/teach us how to do a certain alloy (I guess).
          they said we burned up more mag in just one of our mix pots in one day than they burned up in there whole plant in a year.
          let O2 get to moltan mag surface and it lights up.
          I think it was a little over 700Deg C that we worked with it at

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post

I'll start calling around to local fuel tank fabricators tomorrow. Ive read online a good estimate for a custom AL tank is $9-$11 per gallon. Does this sound accurate?
            If that's accurate, it isn't bad at all.. Custom 29 gallon tank for about $300.00?

Don't hack yours up yet, they likely need it for putting fittings back where yours are, and exact spec's..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

What about these plastic tanks that were mentioned? I wouldn't be thrilled to use plastic if it was exposed to direct sunlight. But this might be perfect.
              Certainly if non-ethanol is used.... anybody know anything about them?

Comment

You have to at least consider?

Moeller 27 Gal. Below Deck Fuel Tank, #032527

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Don't hack yours up yet, they likely need it for putting fittings back where yours are, and exact spec's..
                  Agreed^^^.
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    You have to at least consider?

Moeller 27 Gal. Below Deck Fuel Tank, #032527
                    I did, until I researched the selection of poly tanks on the market. I will need a custom tank because of the atypical tank dimensions and location of fuel/vent fittings and sender. Pictured below.

The poly tanks on the market are manufactured using a mold. So in order for me to have a poly tank I would need it custom. I couldn't tell you how much it would cost, but I'd guess 4-5x more expensive.
                    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      What about these plastic tanks that were mentioned? I wouldn't be thrilled to use plastic if it was exposed to direct sunlight. But this might be perfect.
                      Certainly if non-ethanol is used.... anybody know anything about them?
                      Read this article last night. Good info, giving pros & cons for AL and poly.

Marine Fuel Tanks - PLastic Vs Aluminium - The Pros and Cons Debate
                      Jason

Comment

Boy, that's a big ole patch there!!!

Does the bottom and sides look as bad as the top?
                        Scott

Comment

For those familiar with AL welding...there are a number of marine surplus businesses in my area that sell AL fuel tanks. Let's say I find one with the dimensions I need, but fittings needed to be relocated, or more likely, the sender location would need to be relocated.

Welding a patch on the tank and relocating any of above...is this a big job for a welder? Expensive?
                          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            Boy, that's a big ole patch there!!!

Does the bottom and sides look as bad as the top?
                            Yes. And you're only seeing 1 patch in the picture. There are 3 more...1 on side and 2 on bottom.

Once I had the tank out and saw the tank had been patched 4x I decided to replace with new tank. It didn't ever occur to me to refurbish. Ticking time bomb.
                            Jason

Comment

For those familiar with AL welding...there are a number of marine surplus businesses in my area that sell AL fuel tanks. Let's say I find one with the dimensions I need, but fittings needed to be relocated, or more likely, the sender location would need to be relocated.

Welding a patch on the tank and relocating any of above...is this a big job for a welder? Expensive?
                              Moving an outlet is not a big issue. You can actually use yours if in good shape..

Cut off at the tank base (after making a template exactly where you want it, the angle, etc). Welding a patch, same thing... Price wise, depends on what they charge.

Or let them do it but obviously, the more they have to do (cut, drill, etc), the more $ it costs..

You could (with some basic metal tools) cut the new holes, fittings, etc.

As posted earlier, maybe flush/fill with water so you don't become a statistic...

*You may consider a Prop Shop if JUST welding and you do your own other metal work..
                              They do super fine aluminum welding fixing ALUMINUM PROPS... (that is, IF they'd even do it)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-30-2017, 07:23 PM.
                              Scott

Comment

I did, until I researched the selection of poly tanks on the market. I will need a custom tank because of the atypical tank dimensions and location of fuel/vent fittings and sender. Pictured below.

The poly tanks on the market are manufactured using a mold. So in order for me to have a poly tank I would need it custom. I couldn't tell you how much it would cost, but I'd guess 4-5x more expensive.
                                All I know is that foam sucks. I think it is a manufacturing crutch.

Until someone tells me otherwise.....

Comment

Working...
                                X