No announcement yet.

Oh Boy...This Smell Ain't Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace tank, do it right and do it once, patches of epoxies and stuff like that are just buying time.

Comment

It's an aluminum tank. Get the unit out and examine the rest of it as well...

As nasty as the top looks, that aluminum is really thin.

Depending on how the rest looks, at a minimum I'd either be replacing the entire TOP section or the entire tank..

I would NOT be taking any shortcuts with this, your literally standing above a potential bomb..

I gather you'll likely need a company that specializes in tank repair, sales...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The future is in plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
          Find a good tank man and let him do the job.
          Big $5000 job putting in and taking out that tank and replacing with a new one. You need special tools and saws.

That Al tank is 1/4 inch thick. You'll likely destroy it taking it out and need to buy a new one.
          Nah, that's foam you see surrounding the tank. You cut it out, piece by piece. Remove all the foam on one side, pull the tank over to that side, remove the foam from opposing side. Arduous and laborious, yes.
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            It's an aluminum tank. Get the unit out and examine the rest of it as well...

As nasty as the top looks, that aluminum is really thin.

Depending on how the rest looks, at a minimum I'd either be replacing the entire TOP section or the entire tank..

I would NOT be taking any shortcuts with this, your literally standing above a potential bomb..
            No shortcuts intended, agreed. Your thoughts on the cause of those small holes? Saltwater corrosion, I'm assuming.

Here's the fuel sender. You can see how warped the gasket is. No doubt fuel was spewing from here.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              The future is in plastics.
              I know those poly tanks have become popular lately. I don't know anything about them. I'll have to read up.

Have these poly tanks been in service long enough to determine their long term durability?
              Jason

Comment

First: Home - Tampa, FL - CL Mattson & Company, Inc Near you!

That corrosion is from water / condensation sitting atop the tank in a nice
                closed environment that doesn't let it evaporate.

My neighbors old Mako had a similar issue right near the filler, (on the tank). His tank was foamed up top too which helped hold in moisture and his leak was very obvious, discolored foam. As his was very limited, he put some sheet metal screws in the holes, then epoxied them. No issues after that..

I noticed, years back (and my tanks a year older than yours) of a wet dust atop my tank (looking thru the access hole in the deck). There were a couple of spots (no where near yours, maybe 1/4 of yours, size wise) of white corrosion ATOP, (like yours), very small but obvious (not leaking).

My tank DOES have maybe 2" between it and the deck cover(ie air flow). I snuck a clean rag in there with a 3' wood yard stick and got rid of all wet "dust". The couple white spots, I cleaned best as possible and snuck a small paint brush with acrylic (not water based) paint and painted over those spots... Stopped any further corrosion.
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-29-2017, 07:49 PM.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                  I know those poly tanks have become popular lately. I don't know anything about them. I'll have to read up.

Have these poly tanks been in service long enough to determine their long term durability?
                  If you can find the correct size and get a plastic one mounted (and the expanding foam helps a BUNCH holding it)...

You did get 19 years out of this one, so really not too bad...
                  Scott

Comment

First: Home - Tampa, FL - CL Mattson & Company, Inc Near you!

That corrosion is from water / condensation sitting atop the tank in a nice
                    closed environment that doesn't let it evaporate.

My neighbors old Mako had a similar issue right near the filler, (on the tank). His tank was foamed up top too which helped hold in moisture and his leak was very obvious, discolored foam. As his was very limited, he put some sheet metal screws in the holes, then epoxied them. No issues after that..You did get 19 years out of this one, so really not too bad...
                    I'll check out your tank business recommendation, thks. Have you ever pressure tested a tank? Wondering what's the common method to seal off the 3 fittings and 1 big sender hole. The tank is 1988. So almost 30 years. Be that as it may, I sure wish the previous owner had replaced the tank.
                    Last edited by Jason2tpa; 04-29-2017, 08:02 PM.
                    Jason

Comment

I had a 100 gallon plastic tank in my 1998 Aquasport. Nary a problem with it. I am pretty sure that the technology has been advanced since that time. It was made by Moeller.

The plastic surely seems to outlive aluminum, particularly in a salt water environment.

Permanent Fuel Tanks | Moeller Marine

Comment

I'll check out your tank business recommendation, thks. Have you ever pressure tested a tank? Wondering what's the common method to seal off the 3 fittings and 1 big sender hole.
                        I have no affiliation with them, just looking on-line...

Re pressure testing, put the sender back in the hole and close off all other holes with a rag/ plastic -milk jug, duct tape, but leave a small opening for an air compressor fitting.

You don't need 100 PSI, (it sure would show ALL LEAKS THOU!), but put positive air pressure in it, spray with windex, / soapy water and look for bubbles (just like a tire tube with a slow leak).

I'd hit the top of that tank with a large wire brush to knock ALL that corrosion away (which can hamper your hunt for leaks)

You can (as it needs repair anyway), put sheet metal screws in each hole as you go along till you have no more bubbles...

A 4' x 10' sheet of aluminum, 1/8", was just over $100 (last time I bought a sheet) so the material isn't that bad $ wise. It's the welding that'll get ya..

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          I had a 100 gallon plastic tank in my 1998 Aquasport. Nary a problem with it. I am pretty sure that the technology has been advanced since that time. It was made by Moeller.

The plastic surely seems to outlive aluminum, particularly in a salt water environment.

Permanent Fuel Tanks | Moeller Marine
                          This one's close to Jason's, no price thou:

29 Gallon Permanent Below Deck Boat Fuel Tank |
                          Scott

Comment

Pretty sure my Nissan has a plastic tank. Completely exposed on bottom of truck.

Comment

If you can find the correct size and get a plastic one mounted (and the expanding foam helps a BUNCH holding it)...

You did get 19 years out of this one, so really not too bad...
                              Damn near 30 years....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                                Damn near 30 years....
                                1998 year hull, 2017 now, Me tinks is 19, no??

(17 + 2 years=19)

Maybe the "fumes" Pat?
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X