Oh Boy...This Smell Ain't Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by panasonic View Post
    How is that deck hatch attached to the boat....any screws?

Have you got the hatch put back down?
    The upper edge of coffin sits lower than the deck. The fuel hatch simply fits right on top of the coffin edge, sinking in and becoming flush with deck. 6 screws are used to seat hatch. Sealant used to fill crevice between edges of deck and hatch. Then the console gets put back in its position, secured to deck with screws imbedded in 5200.

Yep, sealed the hatch last night.

Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

• Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      That's great!

I like that everything (fittings) are back where they were before so no "jerry rigging"...

Nice too that all you had to pull was the deck plate.
      I offered to make the 2hr round trip drive to Venice so he could have the old tank to replicate. He insisted he didn't need. Just the specs. So I emailed him the exact locations and measurements of fittings. He got it spot on (and I got my measurements spot on...his part more difficult of course).

No doubt I'm spoiled with this deck hatch. I've heard horror stories of having to completely remove deck, controls, etc, in order to get at fuel tank. Ugh.
      Jason

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
        I offered to make the 2hr round trip drive to Venice so he could have the old tank to replicate. He insisted he didn't need. Just the specs. So I emailed him the exact locations and measurements of fittings. He got it spot on (and I got my measurements spot on...his part more difficult of course).

No doubt I'm spoiled with this deck hatch. I've heard horror stories of having to completely remove deck, controls, etc, in order to get at fuel tank. Ugh.
        Impressive!!! (Great measurements on your end as well)

My deck hatch set up is the same as yours, just larger. And I have two separate seats attached as well, besides at least lifting part of the console.

I dreaded the day I'd have to do what you just did, but, after peeking at mine(out of curiosity), I think I'm good for awhile!

Your about ready for water!
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-12-2017, 06:55 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

• If you didn't have the deck hatch put back down already I was going to suggest bonding a few pieces of that pvc to the bottom side of the hatch. Figure out how much space between the top of tank and bottom of hatch and cut the blocks so when hatch is put in place the blocks would just touch the top of tank. The tank would be sandwiched between the bottom of the coffin and underside of hatch. Just a little more insurance to make sure it will not move...

To late now..hope it stays put. Glad you got done. Don't forget your other trailer wheel hub..lol

Comment

If you didn't have the deck hatch put back down already I was going to suggest bonding a few pieces of that pvc to the bottom side of the hatch. Figure out how much space between the top of tank and bottom of hatch and cut the blocks so when hatch is put in place the blocks would just touch the top of tank. The tank would be sandwiched between the bottom of the coffin and underside of hatch. Just a little more insurance to make sure it will not move...

To late now..hope it stays put. Glad you got done. Don't forget your other trailer wheel hub..lol
            Thats a good idea. I do know there is precisely 1/2" between top of fuel inlet hose and underside of hatch.

Yeah, the other trailer hub, ugh. Yep thats on the list lol.
            Jason

Comment

• Sorry I meant to post that a few days ago but was busy rebuilding a 4 cylinder 1100 cc bike engine wit my son...that someone else took apart...nightmare.

Keep an ear out for that tank banging around when shut down and drifting in a good sea. Best of luck.

Comment

Keep an ear out for that tank banging around when shut down and drifting in a good sea. Best of luck.

With the tank bonded with 5200 to the coffin bed via 3 lengthwise strips of pvc, and the tank bonded with 5200 to the sides of the coffin with 6 blocks...every single one of those bonds would have to break loose in order for the tank to elevate. I mean, stranger things have happened sure. But this is highly unlikely.
                Jason

Comment

• all of the weight of the fuel and tank pounding in the waves is anyones guess what will happen

Comment

• Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    all of the weight of the fuel and tank pounding in the waves is anyones guess what will happen
                    My thoughts exactly. Heavy things in boats have be fastened down very well. It's the repeated pounding it gets over and over thousands of times that work crap loose.

I am not saying you did it wrong Jason or anything like that..Just saying keep an ear out for any strange new noises from under the deck till you are sure that repair is holding...be safe.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Heavy things in boats have be fastened down very well. It's the repeated pounding it gets over and over thousands of times that work crap loose.

I am not saying you did it wrong Jason or anything like that..Just saying keep an ear out for any strange new noises from under the deck till you are sure that repair is holding...be safe.
                      I don't doubt for a second that an unsecured fuel tank can/will jostle around. No arguments there. When i opened the fuel hatch for the first time since buying the boat I was shocked with how poorly it was secured....foam used to fill the sides, yet it wasn't spread tightly around tank, forward and aft sides of tank had barely any foam, and the tank was laying on a 1/2" rubber mat. I put one hand on top of the tank and could push and pull the tank to either side. If the old tank were going to bang around in that coffin I would have heard it by now.

Be that as it may, I was left with spare pvc board and could have easily used it the bottom side of hatch.
                      Jason

Comment

I don't doubt for a second that an unsecured fuel tank can/will jostle around. No arguments there. When i opened the fuel hatch for the first time since buying the boat I was shocked with how poorly it was secured....foam used to fill the sides, yet it wasn't spread tightly around tank, forward and aft sides of tank had barely any foam, and the tank was laying on a 1/2" rubber mat. I put one hand on top of the tank and could push and pull the tank to either side. If the old tank were going to bang around in that coffin I would have heard it by now.

Be that as it may, I was left with spare pvc board and could have easily used it the bottom side of hatch.
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        X