2004 F200 submerged briefly in fresh water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 F200 submerged briefly in fresh water

I purchased a boat that was briefly submerged in fresh water while tied to the dock. The motor was in the down position, turned off and about 1-2' below the surface. When the boat was raised the motor was immediately pickled and run for about 20 minutes. It was then winterized and stored this past winter. It only has 350 hrs on it and the maintenance records that came with it show it was very well cared for. What should I look at before using it offshore on Lake Ontario this summer? Should I replace the stator coil/rectifier and starter. The engine still looks brand new, but I know water inside some components can cause hidden issues.
    I just joined this forum so thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by rycsailor; 04-13-2017, 03:08 PM.

Unless someone was giving me that engine I would not go near it. Only ran it for 20 minutes after being sunk!!! Then put it away for months....oh my the gremlins hiding in there.

Comment

Panasonic

I'm not sure if it was exactly 20 minutes, but it was immediately service by a 5 star Yamaha Dealership that did the standard service base on what had happened. So your advice is to stay away from the motor I have and just go buy a new one? I'm actually looking for some advice as to what the gremlins may be. Most dealerships said there is a very good chance the motor is fine because it was not deep, was fresh water and was serviced immediately.

Comment

The only way you'll find out if the submersion caused a problem is to keep running it, and often. Being that it's running good and its been serviced by yam techs, work the engine hard to test its performance. Keep a watchful eye on your gauges and listen attentively to the engine. If something is amiss while it's running you should be able to hear, see, smell, or feel it.

Or I suppose the other way to find out if damage was done is to pull it all apart, look for something that may not be there.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

I would have wanted it run long enough to evaporate all of the moisture out of and off of everything inside and out of the motor before it was put away. no telling if bearings and other shiny surfaces have rusted along with corroded electrical connections every where including electronics and bolted ground wires.

I would have run that motor hard and heavy for hours before fogging and putting away.

all you can do with it right now if run it around some before getting somewhere that could get you in a bind if a problem shows up

Comment

Thanks Jason and 99Yam40. I am not sure how long they ran it but i do know they changed the fluids and fogged it. I drained the fuel tank and just added 104 gallons of high test non ethanol fuel with some sea foam additive. I am also changing the fuel filters before running it. I was mostly concerned with rust in the starter, rectifier and the fuel injection electronics. I can run it hard with some other boats around in case something shows up. If it had been salt water or been deeper than 10' I wouldn't have touched it. Hopefully it works just fine. It did get moisture in the digital speedometer gauge and only half of it displays now. Not sure if it is rebuild-able or if I should just source a new one.

Comment

I guess what it amounts to is pretty simple, anything second hand is a lucky dip, something second hand that's been sunk, is very much a lower chance lucky dip! it might be great and go for years, it might have one problem after another, it's your money, it's your choice!

Comment

how did you drain the fuel tank?
                how much water did you get out of it with the fuel?

Pick up tube does not sit at the very bottom on tank ,so if you just drained using the normal lines you still have wayer in the tank and as you rock the boat and speed up/slow down there will be water sloshing back and forth and will be sucked up

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                  I guess what it amounts to is pretty simple, anything second hand is a lucky dip, something second hand that's been sunk, is very much a lower chance lucky dip! it might be great and go for years, it might have one problem after another, it's your money, it's your choice!
                  the way I read his post was he purchased the boat, why would you try to tell him not to if he already did?

Comment

Didn't tell him not to, just that it was/is his money and his choice.....

Comment

Originally posted by rycsailor View Post
                      If it had been salt water or been deeper than 10' I wouldn't have touched it. Hopefully it works just fine. It did get moisture in the digital speedometer gauge and only half of it displays now. Not sure if it is rebuild-able or if I should just source a new one.
                      IMO also night/day difference between salt/fresh immersion.

In this case I would not spend a penny to replace any parts "preemptively"

although I would make sure my Towboat US coverage is in effect, and that my VHF works.

There was a recent post on "rebuilding" the Yamaha multifunction gauges, with a link in it;
                      apparently it is do-able.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th28223.html

Comment

I'm not sure if it was exactly 20 minutes, but it was immediately service by a 5 star Yamaha Dealership that did the standard service base on what had happened. So your advice is to stay away from the motor I have and just go buy a new one? I'm actually looking for some advice as to what the gremlins may be. Most dealerships said there is a very good chance the motor is fine because it was not deep, was fresh water and was serviced immediately.
                        My apologies sir I misread your post...I thought I read you were considering buying the boat and motor.

If it were mine I would buy some cheap oil and a couple of filters and change the oil, run it some, change it again...do that several times to try and make sure you get every spec of water out of the inside of that engine.

I also would get some good contact cleaner and spray out every wiring plug connection on that engine.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you don't have any future problems with this engine.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                          Didn't tell him not to, just that it was/is his money and his choice.....
                          and how does that help him any?

Comment

One of the great things about modern marine electronics is that they have been coated with simethicone and are totally immune from moisture ingress and corrosion. Actually, that's a big load of road apples. I just wanted to see who was paying attention.

If the motor was properly "refreshed" and then immediately run for about 100 hours within the first week, I might be interested if the price was right. Absent that, smells like a huge crap shoot. Good luck.

Comment

I purchased a boat that was briefly submerged in fresh water while tied to the dock.!
                              Elaborate if you would on above in bold. Since time is relative only to ones own perception, brief could mean 1 minute, 1 hour or multiple days. Despite this being a freshwater submersion, luckily, your answer will have much to do with the probability of engine complications.
                              Jason
                              1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
                              X