F60TLR power issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F60TLR power issue

I started noticing my motor having problems getting on plain about a year ago. I took the motor in to the shop and had them go through the fuel system but it did not fix the issue. I've personally checked all the hoses, filters, and even pulled and soaked the injectors. Just finished checking vst filter and it was clean. What am I missing?

Originally posted by SHADETREE17 View Post
    I started noticing my motor having problems getting on plain about a year ago. I took the motor in to the shop and had them go through the fuel system but it did not fix the issue. I've personally checked all the hoses, filters, and even pulled and soaked the injectors. Just finished checking vst filter and it was clean. What am I missing?
    Check the fuel pressure?

Comment

Check compression on all cylinders?...Are you sure those little lnjector screens are clean?....

Comment

What exactly did they do or NOT do?

When it didn't operate correctly, what'd they say/ do?

As noted above, ask the shop what the fuel pressure was. It should have been checked..

Is this shop a Yamaha shop or ???
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I'm not exactly sure how to check the fuel pressure. I looked on the rail but I didn't see a Schrader valve(any valve for that matter).

We moved since I took the boat in and I've lost all my paperwork but it was a Yamaha dealer.

It ran well until early summer 16'. I didn't get it back until September from the dealership and only ran it once by myself and it seemed ok. I added the fuel stabilizers for winter 16' and it set up. Tried again in Feb of this year and have been working on it ever since. Supposedly the screens were changed out when it was in the shop but who knows.

Comment

I don't see a schrader valve either, if this is your correct model.

*There's another sub model:

2006 and Later F60TLR Yamaha Outboard INTAKE 1 Diagram and Parts

#9 is a pressure regulator:
            http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-23-2017, 06:44 PM.
            Scott

Comment

you have told us that you told the shop to go thru the fuel system and it worked OK after.

then you set it up for a few months and only then something was wrong with it again

what kind of fuel did you have in it and how old was the fuel in the tank when you set it up?
              E fuel can go bad quickly if not stored properly, and even then it can be a problem

I would have told the shop what it was doing, not for them to go thru the fuel system. What if that was not the problem to start out with

Comment

So I just got it back from Shop #2. They checked fuel pressure, gas and gas lines, ignition and sensors. I was told that the next thing they would change was the ecu but it was not a guarantee fix. I took it outve the shop and found a ecu on ebay much cheaper than new and ordered it. After putting it on there is no change in the way it runs after swapping ecu's so I'm still stuck.

Comment

use the Yamaha dealer locator function.
                  find a dealership with a master tech.
                  take it there and explain the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SHADETREE17 View Post
                    So I just got it back from Shop #2. They checked fuel pressure, gas and gas lines, ignition and sensors. I was told that the next thing they would change was the ecu but it was not a guarantee fix.
                    Rodbolt, this is the kind of crap OFTEN found at dealerships. Guessing/throwing parts at it...

As most issues seem to be fuel related (and somewhat electrical), it'd be nice if Yamaha had more extensive BASIC training in this area...

For the OP, good luck and please post back what the fix is/was..

Scott

Comment

Yamaha offers VERY extensive training.
                      80% or so of the techs that take the master tech exam simply fail.
                      it is that tough.
                      if I suspected an ECU I have the knowledge and equipment to test inputs and outputs.
                      that ECU is not a magic box.
                      it is a stupid truth table.
                      buy an ECU and you most likely will have a spare.

take it to a dealership that employs a master tech.

Comment

It would be nice if some of the non-master tech's are a bit more knowledgeable, vs potentially (as they were going to in this thread) throw parts at it...

That is my point.

It took a MT (another dealership) to tune out a nasty vibration a regular tech literally tuned into my F150 (trying to raise the idle as I watched).

Then he said it was "normal" as the engine vibrated so much it turned itself to the side (in the water) idling...
                        Scott

Comment

All Yamaha outboard motor Master Technicians are equal. In the eyes of Yamaha I suppose.

It is just that some are more equal than others. Same with Yamaha mechanics in general.

I dare suggest that some of the more equal Yamaha mechanics with no pedigrees/papers might be more knowledgeable and have more expertise than some of the less equal Master Technicians. Problem is knowing whom is whom and which is which.

Comment

*Update*

I followed some advice that I received and took my boat to a Yamaha shop with a master tech. They had my boat for almost 2 months and the diagnosis was that.. the bottom of the boat had some dents that is keeping my motor from performing like it should. I questioned this further because it didn't make any since to me be he said that its quit common for a aluminum boat that has been used in a stumpy lake to have this issue. He said that it causes turbulence and the motor cant get the push it needs. I didn't make this up and I find it hard to believe but that's what he said. I'm not a mechanic but it seems like if this was the issue I would be running higher rpms but I don't know.

Comment

If that is true then the prop would have been slipping like crazy in my opinion.
                              Slipping as in over revving. Did you have big sudden changes in rpm while trying to get on plane? Would be an ideal time to find one of those elusive Yamaha test props....

Comment

Working...
                              X