CrankCase cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrankCase cover

hi, i recently purchased a.. (you guessed it) an 01 virago, 250cc. the stator is bad. i tested it and so i have purchased a new one.. i don't have a lot of mechanical experience so ive taken to the internet for help lol..

anyways, upon removing the crank case cover i discovered that the previous owner stripped out the bolts in an attempt to remove it and failed. i drilled them out and have removed the cover etc..

i guess my question is where can i order new bolts for a decent price? ive been on a few oem sites and its like $50 for 7 bolts...

thanks for any and all help

Start by looking here. boats.net sells only OEM parts. I don't see any bolts coming anywhere near 50 bucks for seven of those rascals.

2001 VIRAGO 250 - XV250N Yamaha Motorcycle CRANKCASE COVER 1 Diagram and Parts
    Last edited by boscoe99; 02-25-2017, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 01Virago View Post
      hi, i recently purchased a.. (you guessed it) an 01 virago, 250cc. the stator is bad. i tested it and so i have purchased a new one.. i don't have a lot of mechanical experience so ive taken to the internet for help lol..

anyways, upon removing the crank case cover i discovered that the previous owner stripped out the bolts in an attempt to remove it and failed. i drilled them out and have removed the cover etc..

i guess my question is where can i order new bolts for a decent price? ive been on a few oem sites and its like $50 for 7 bolts...

thanks for any and all help
      Here you go $29.00 for all the case bolts, cap head, stainless, free shipping.

YAMAHA VIRAGO 250 XV250 VSTAR 250 XVS250 polished stainless engine bolt set | eBay

Replace them all.

Search Ebay with Chrome and it comes up free shipping, with internet explorer it says $29.00 for shipping for the exact same listing....what's up with that?
      Last edited by panasonic; 02-26-2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Start by looking here. boats.net sells only OEM parts. I don't see any bolts coming anywhere near 50 bucks for seven of those rascals.
        +1 ^^^.

Are the bolts you referring to the actual stator retainer bolts?: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html or the outer case bolts?

Boats net is the same as Partzilla (a motorcycle parts store-my preferred store). Partzilla: OEM Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, Marine Parts

Also, before you order the bolts, the stator is usually installed with VERY STRONG LOCTITE and uses torx bolts to retain it. Put some serious heat to the case (heat gun) where the retaining bolts are and work quickly, they WILL be tight. The heat loosens up the loctite...

The wire retainer bracket inside, same thing....

***Did the PO bugger up the threads on the inner case? Being the case is aluminum and the bolts steel, the steel usually wins...

As a side note, not a virago site, but this site (for the Yamaha FZ6), has some extremely smart folks, especially for electric issues, how to test, etc should you need additional help: http://www.600riders.com/forum/cmps_index.php
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-26-2017, 07:48 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X