Drive shaft collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive shaft collar

What's the best way to remove drive shaft collar on 2005 150hp vmax?

To remove water pump impeller?

Comment

Yes, To remove impeller
      Last edited by Leonard Myers; 01-21-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Take a medium size screwdriver and put in the slot between the metal and plastic collar. Press hard and twist. Not pry. Move 45 degrees and twist again.
        Usually if you keep going, it will budge. Make a few rounds. Be patient.

All else fails, you can cut or chisel off. Buying new parts of course.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've moved it about 1/4" or so but it doesn't seem to want to go any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Myers View Post
            Thanks for the reply. I've moved it about 1/4" or so but it doesn't seem to want to go any more.
            Are you trying to move both the collar and plastic insert at the same time? You must move the steel collar off the plastic insert first, at least a little bit.
            What the steel collar does is compress the plastic insert to hold it in the proper position on the drive shaft.
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

If it has moved at all then you keep going around. Maybe a larger blade screwdriver to keep getting movement. Should release.

Comment

Those collars are pressed down tight on top of the plastic collar, and the metal one is barely larger in internal diameter. I personally use a screwdriver with rubber mallet and tap all way around. But this sounds like it comes off no prob- it doesn't. Takes a lot of revolutions tapping around the collar. If you've got it up 1/4" then you're almost there.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

knock the insert out of the housing.
                  install the insert back on the impellor.
                  use two screw drivers to pry it off.
                  if that does not work I use a small sharp chisel and simply cut it off.
                  at 100 bucks an hour I wont spend much time on an 8 dollar part.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

If necessary, you can also install a piece of wood underneath the shanks of the screw driver blades for added leverage. The wood will also spread the load over the metal cover and mitigate any chances of damaging the cover. Pry up a bit and then reposition the screw driver blades on the cover.

Last edited by boscoe99; 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

great photo!

Comment

Thank you. Borrowing other folks ideas is what I do best.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            If necessary, you can also install a piece of wood underneath the shanks of the screw driver blades for added leverage. The wood will also spread the load over the metal cover and mitigate any chances of damaging the cover. Pry up a bit and then reposition the screw driver blades on the cover.

So nice and clean! I've never had a problem removing this. I wonder if it might be in order while installing to put a thin layer of waterproof grease between the steel collar and plastic "spacer"?
                            Chuck,
                            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                              So nice and clean! I've never had a problem removing this. I wonder if it might be in order while installing to put a thin layer of waterproof grease between the steel collar and plastic "spacer"?
                              Don't get Boscoe started!

Comment

Working...
                              X