access to oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• access to oil pan

I'm finally pulling power head to check for debris from my destroyed balancer. I have the power head off , but can't figure out how to get access to the oil pan. The lower cowling is out of the way , but it looks like I need to remove the shift shaft to get the cover that is above the oil pan off. Have all but the last 2 bolts off , but the steering mechanism looks like its going to need to be pulled as well . I'm stumped , do I need to pull the lower unit off , and remove shaft that way ? 2006 scout and 2006 150 yamaha

call me crazy -

but that is a project I would not undertake without possessing - and reading - the Service Manual....

Comment

Ok , we were trying to remove shaft from the top , and it won't pull all the way out

Comment

will try , all i'm trying to do is access the oil pickup so I can remove and clean the balancer debris from the screen , I don't physically need to remove the pan. The midsection will not come off without being able to pull the shift shaft through the top as there are 2 bolts that are under the steering brackets

Comment

I've got all the pics from the service manual . My brain is apparently not allowing me to see how to remove the midsection from the bracket. I've removed the nuts on the steering bracket , so my next move will be to manually raise the midsection/lower unit , and remove the lower unit , then the midsection

Comment

Look on the bright side. You are almost halfway done and it is not 95 degrees outside......

Comment

everything off the bracket , oil pan is not wanting to separate

Comment

got everything apart , discovered oil pump had a chunk of balancer material , and the outer pump ring is cracked. Also discovered exhaust manifold extension had corroded through . Will need to drill out 1 bolt in oil pan where manifold bolt broke . Ordering parts tonight . I have searched all the parts pages on the Yamaha Outboards site and I cannot find the speedo hose. Does anyone have a part # for this ?

Comment

Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
                  got everything apart , discovered oil pump had a chunk of balancer material , and the outer pump ring is cracked. Also discovered exhaust manifold extension had corroded through . Will need to drill out 1 bolt in oil pan where manifold bolt broke . Ordering parts tonight . I have searched all the parts pages on the Yamaha Outboards site and I cannot find the speedo hose. Does anyone have a part # for this ?
                  I believe you need # 31 in the diagram on this link:

2006 and Later F150TXR Yamaha Outboard UPPER CASING Diagram and Parts

Be sure to look under "Upper Casing" for your particular model # to be sure.
                  Chuck,
                  1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Well that's just awesome , Thank You. I see why I couldn't find it , mine actually runs inside the casing with the steering rod so that's what I've been looking for . I have often wondered how it was able to work for the past 8 years with such a bind in it where I ran through the steering shaft opening. Thanks again . ( I did look in the correct place for my application , pn is the same , but it is # 33 , and not 31 for mine)

Comment

Does the oil pump need to be dissassembled or replaced? Rodbolt mentioned the screws are all but impossible to remove. You may not have anything to lose by using some pinpoint heat on those screws. Breaking up any sealant that probably was used when originally assembled.

Comment

I was able to break apart the oil pump , and discovered 1 cracked gear , so I ordered a new pump. Damage from failed balancer : cracked oil pump gear , collapsed strainer . While apart , I noticed exhaust manifold extension was corroded through . Parts ordered , re assembly next week !

Comment

Sounds like the patient will live.

Comment

While apart , I noticed exhaust manifold extension was corroded through .
                            Please show us photos!

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                              Please show us photos!
                              I'd like to see the oil strainer and cracked gears in oil pump too...

Comment

Working...
                              X