Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning Chuck!

ok, here it is;
    I re-visited that video link Boscoe posted and found the oil pressure relief valve:

Although now I also see another "artifact" - looks like a plug that was installed with an Allen wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      Good morning Chuck!

ok, here it is;
      I re-visited that video link Boscoe posted and found the oil pressure relief valve:

Although now I also see another "artifact" - looks like a plug that was installed with an Allen wrench.
      Another "artifact"?
      Here's another image of the bottom of an F150 engine block, what model/year, I do not know.

[IMG]crankcase-cylinder-150-hp-4s-yamaha-f150-used-parts-outboard by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
      The artifact in this image appears to have a female round, not hex, depression.
      What that "artifact" is, hell, I don't know. Maybe not a plug at all? Maybe cast into the crankshaft half? Anyway, I do know that it is bathed in oil, thus the bronze color.
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

pan finally came in today , will clean the relief valve when I install new oil pump. Hopefully back in the water next week

Comment

debris found in relief valve. Most of the pieces were sitting on top of the valve , however 2 were actually wedged between the valve and the openings on the side of the housing , causing the valve to stay partially open , which probably accounts for the low oil pressure at idle
          Attached Files

Comment

only way to do the job is to remove the oil pan,clear/replace the strainer.
            remove and clear the relief valve.
            remove and clear the oil pump.
            remove and clear the oil filter adapter.

Comment

everything on your list has been done , except the oil filter adaptor , will do that tomorrow. Thanks Rodbolt

Comment

started the re assembly process last night , will hopefully have it all back together this weekend. I'm still stumped about the routing of the speedo tube . When I took mine out , it ran thru the same hole/grommet that the shift lever went thru. This caused the speedo tube to pinch as it entered the hole . I'm installing a new tube , but it just seems like there would be a better way to run this . I looked in the service manual , and the picture either shows the tube , or possibly an additional ground strap , can't really tell ,I will post a new thread on this , but if anyone has any suggestions , please ...

Comment

myself
                  I would simply run it back down the swivel tube with the shift shaft as designed.
                  however it is your rig.
                  you can duct tape it to the cowl if you wish.
                  all it does is take water pressure to a guage.

Comment

That's what I did , back in the factory location. Midsection and power head installed , will finish up tomorrow

Comment

everything assembled except lower unit. I filled with oil , and there was oil dripping down through the driveshaft channel . The dripping has stopped . I filled the oil pump before installing , as well as the filter housing. I'm stumped as to how the oil could find it's way to that location

Comment

hope it was some that spilled.
                        hate to fire it up and have it leaking out all over the place.

have you looked where you can

Comment

I have been gone for 7 hours , no evidence of any dripping , I levelled the bottom of the motor and checked the oil, it is exactly halfway between low and full , which would make sense since I used some for filling the oil pump and filter housing. My thoughtis either all the oil should have dumped on the ground , or none of it , I can't understand why just a little bit came out

Comment

after a thorough cleaning with Dawn , and Brakekleen , I can see some oil drips on the bottom of the oil pump ( the part that is just visible when the power head is installed ) . Since I'm only at half full , I'm thinking of adding a little bit of oil and watching for dips at that location

Comment

I would think about pulling the power head back off to inspect better

Comment

Just a thought and I'm not sure it would even work (I'd think so)...

Where you check your oil pressure normally, try pressurizing THERE and see if the oil pump leaks....
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X