access to oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
    there are 2 o rings on the pump , and 1 larger o ring that was on the block when I pulled my power head. In looking at an online video , they say "remove the oil seal if it is stuck on the powerhead and install new seal on oil pump" . So I was wondering if my installing of the new seal on the powerhead may be the source of the leak
    If THIS BOLDED ^^ is what the manual calls for, it sounds like it should be installed on the pump.

The extra was IF the seal hung up on the powerhead coming out..

**The seal, the hard part should be installed into the "engine part". The sealing surface doesn't touch anything UNTIL IT'S INSTALLED, IE the shaft/crank/pump...

Just like automotive wheel bearing seals... They get installed into the hub FIRST, and then seal over the shaft..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-28-2017, 01:43 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

• that's just the problem , I can't find anything in the manual that says how to install the seal

Comment

• Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
        that's just the problem , I can't find anything in the manual that says how to install the seal
        step #4 on page 5-50 ?

Comment

• Thanks for pointing that out .I had been interpreting that to be the seal inside the pump , but now I see in a previous step the installation of the large internal seal . I guess it doesn't matter if I have the service manual if I can't interpret the damn thing ! Feeling stupid in Florida !!

Comment

• Ok , I'm going to re install driveshaft seals tomorrow , and will send Rodbolt a pm and get his thoughts on my oil pump situation

Comment

• Rod does not look at PMs.
              at least I never knew of any he did
              probably a waste of time if you can even send him one

Comment

• That's good to know . Thanks for your help along the way .

Comment

• pulled the power head this morning. replaced the 2 o rings and large crank seal on the oil pump , per the Yamaha manual. I left the powerhead on the hoist for about 2 hours resting on a 2x6 so there wouldn't be any weight on the oil pump. I placed white towels underneath the opening on the pump. when I returned , there was not a drop of oil on the towels , so I proceeded with reinstallation . after getting everything hooked up to the powerhead , I tilted the motor all the way up to torque everything, it was basically parallel to the ground and the lower unit was NOT installed . In this position it leaks . What gives ?

Comment

• if you did not start the motor it is not a pump leak.
                    the seals are rather simple.
                    my guess is spilled oil.

Comment

• Hoping you're right Rodbolt , I installed the lower unit , ran it for about 20 mins , initial oil pressure at idle , 63psi , dropped to 61 at 144 degrees after 20 mins run time . Right now , I don't see any leaks. I am going to have to pull lower unit back off again to re set the pre load on the driveshaft , as the knocking is still present in gear at idle only

Comment

• May i ask how significant the leak is? I am experiencing a similar situation with my starboard engine after i replaced the oil pump. Thanks.

Comment

• Finally back where it belongs ! Thanks to all that helped me get through the steep learning curve on this project . Captkingfish , my leak was very small and it was due to my installing the large oil pump seal on the power head instead of the top of the oil pump . It also leaked when fully tilted up without the lower unit/driveshaft installed. I'm going to run it this weekend and see what happens.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Thank you for the info. I installed the seal in the powerhead as well....port engine is ok but the starboard has a slow leak. Looks like I know what I'll be doing next weekend. Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                            X