No announcement yet.

2006 F40LTR carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The jets are only part of what needs to be cleaned, all the small (very small) air passages have to be clean too, pulling the bowls off and "looking" clean means nothing, spraying with "stuff" also rarely cleans anything, replacing the Jets will not solve the problem if the carb is still blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      I have Ring Free plus fuel additive. Is this not a stabilizer? There was an original "Ring Free". Is there a difference?
      That's EXACTLY the product we're discussing and NO, its NOT a stabilizer.

(They updated the original to the RF PLUS, see below..)

Yamaha makes a stabilizer (I've never used that product so I can't comment on it).

I have mentioned in the past I had a bad experience with Stabil, but found a stabilizer that actually suspends ANY water in the fuel system so it can be burned off as the engine is run(that and Non-ethanol).

I've had fuel last over 2 years using this product with absolutely NO water in the separator, VST, no fuel cloudiness(water). (**Side note, the boat has a LARGE built in tank but I can use the boat all day, and burn maybe 5 gallons, thus, my fuel tends to be older)

The third video, IMO, is worth watching (and what I use):
      Demonstration | Fuel Additive | K-100

The RF:

From the sales ad(nothing about stabilizer):

"We took Ring Free, the proven engine deposit package, and made it even better. Our exclusive, synthetic PLUS formula provides superior deposit control, cleaning fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves, intake ports, and combustion chambers. Featuring metal filmers, it also protects silver solder, copper, aluminum, and steel in a fuel system from the corrosive affects of ethanol sulfate salt. - See more at: https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d....VtnDGBVk.dpuf"
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-09-2016, 09:06 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        Please post back how it goes.
        boat went out twice today for crabbing. Ran great both times

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          That's EXACTLY the product we're discussing and NO, its NOT a stabilizer.

(They updated the original to the RF PLUS, see below..)

Yamaha makes a stabilizer (I've never used that product so I can't comment on it).

I have mentioned in the past I had a bad experience with Stabil, but found a stabilizer that actually suspends ANY water in the fuel system so it can be burned off as the engine is run(that and Non-ethanol).

I've had fuel last over 2 years using this product with absolutely NO water in the separator, VST, no fuel cloudiness(water). (**Side note, the boat has a LARGE built in tank but I can use the boat all day, and burn maybe 5 gallons, thus, my fuel tends to be older)

The third video, IMO, is worth watching (and what I use):
          Demonstration | Fuel Additive | K-100

The RF:

From the sales ad(nothing about stabilizer):

"We took Ring Free, the proven engine deposit package, and made it even better. Our exclusive, synthetic PLUS formula provides superior deposit control, cleaning fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves, intake ports, and combustion chambers. Featuring metal filmers, it also protects silver solder, copper, aluminum, and steel in a fuel system from the corrosive affects of ethanol sulfate salt. - See more at: https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d....VtnDGBVk.dpuf"
          5 years with only Ring Free Plus and never a drop of water in either filter after draining. Marine gas only. I probably burn more fuel than you based on your posts. People around here seem to have issues even while using Stabil. I suspect they are not using marine gas exclusively. Gas tank is 11 years old. K100 is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
            And congrats! Sounds like you are good to go! Nice to figure things out without paying the big bucks.

Comment

5 years with only Ring Free Plus and never a drop of water in either filter after draining. Marine gas only. I probably burn more fuel than you based on your posts. People around here seem to have issues even while using Stabil. I suspect they are not using marine gas exclusively. Gas tank is 11 years old. K100 is interesting.
              Blackhawk36- Thanks for the second update, great!!. Using the RF regularly, you won't be touching the carb anytime soon (un-less parked for over a month W/O stabilizer)

And yes, I don't use the boat nearly enough. (I do crank it up on the muffs regularly).

I had an issue with the engine (top end RPM dropping) about a year ago (turned out to be spark plugs). Figured it could be the fuel (basics), and drained the gas being it was over 2 years old (about 30 gallons). Sucked the tank dry thru the transom fuel filter.

ALL the fuel came out smelling / looking new! NO water visible and clear. I used some of it in the mower and generator (12 gallons). My neighbor bought the rest,(cheap), used in his older Explorer, and Suzuki 140, both ran great...

My tank is original, from 1997 (19 years old), NEVER been pulled, first time drained (60 gallons I think).

**What was the best benefit of fully draining, I could see the Yamaha fuel gauge HASH marks as I refilled and how much was ACTUALLY in the tank vs what the gauge read. IE, 10 gallons stopped the low fuel flashing hash mark (way more than I expected) and as I filled, I kept track (again 4 hash marks- 25 gallons-1/2 tank).
              Scott

Comment

Townsend- my gauge reads in a similar manner which is good. 60 gallon tank. Two hash marks and it takes 39 to fill last fall. I felt like I was just about out of fuel, good to know I had 21 left. Hardly ever let it get that low.

Comment

. I felt like I was just about out of fuel, good to know I had 21 left. Hardly ever let it get that low.
                  Yep, same here.

I like at least 2/3 a tank when going out. The boat rides smoother too with the extra weight.

But, for exactly that reason(for me at least), I use Marine fuel ONLY, RF and the stabilizer. Especially for as long as it sits...
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
                    everyone needs one of those ultrasonic machines.
                    I do not, but I have a friend that does.

almost as good,and it did not cost me any money

cleaning carbs properly sometimes takes more that one try even with those machines.

Good to hear you got it taken care of
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-10-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X