2003 40tlrb power pak issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 40tlrb power pak issues?

Took the boat out to go crabbing this morning and shortly after leaving the ramp the engine started running bad,maybe on 2 cylinders then cut off.I checked the fuel line and tank and just to make sure swapped tanks and line.Got it started and put it up on plane for about 5 minutes without incident.Started dropping crab traps and after a few it just cut off ...checked fuel lines and had gas going to carbs...still no start.Had to use my 4hp kicker to pick up traps and get back to the ramp.
    One I was home I checked the spark and nothing initially ,then checked the pick ups and stator with an ohm meter and all were within specs...check the spark again and observed spark (bright sun did'nt help)...Tried to start and it ran on idle for about 5 minutes then it shut off and would not start again.
    I'm thinking my power pak was going,going ...gone.Would this be a logical assumption? Had to replace one on a 9.9 Johnson that acted the same way.
    Last edited by LOWRIDER60; 08-29-2016, 05:35 PM.

You may want to un-plug the connector first and inspect for any corrosion..

Doesn't take much crap to make a lousy connection and cause issues...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

monitor peak voltages into and out of the CDI so you know what is in spec or out when the problem happens.

key switch and E kill switch ground the output from CDI to stop spark. Make sure they and the wire is not a problem before buying a CDI

Comment

Still has issues...

Took it out for a little crabbing on Sunday afternoon...ran good for about an hour or two then cut off.Raised it up and used my 4hp for about 20 minutes then switched back to the 40hp.I got it started and and continued crabbing,but ran it faster between traps.I'm thinking the fuel pump may be weak and after just idleing between traps for an hour or two it fails to keep up with fuel demand, and when it sits for a bit the pressure on the system allows the carbs to fill back up...Anyway,by running and gunning it stayed running for about another two hours then cut off again ,so I repeated the procedure and alls good.
        Today I removed the fuel pump and took it apart,everthing seemed fine,but I think I'll replace it anyway as they are cheap enough.Are these fuel pumps know for being problematic or I am looking in the wrong direction?
        Ended the day with 2/3 of a basket of nice crabs though.

Comment

motor uses more fuel at higher RPM so that is when it should run out of fuel if pump could not keep up.

need to see if it has spark when it will not run

Comment

Hmmnn....so if it uses more fuel at higher RPM then the fuel pump should exceed the demand or the motor would starve for fuel.I'm still thinking my fuel pump is weak,but I'll take a spare plug and check for spark next time.

Comment

Is the Power Pack another term for CDI? Heard a fellow at the marina this weekend talking about his 30 year old johnson/evinrude. He thought his power pack needed to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by LOWRIDER60 View Post
                Hmmnn....so if it uses more fuel at higher RPM then the fuel pump should exceed the demand or the motor would starve for fuel.I'm still thinking my fuel pump is weak,but I'll take a spare plug and check for spark next time.
                Spark tester or even a timing light will show if there is spark.
                but if you want to you can test the fuel pump pressure and vacuum

Comment

After pondering this for a while I wondered if the needle valves in the carbs were sticking and not allowing fuel in....took carbs apart and installed new valves and seats and floats in carb rebuild kit.Started it up and fuel was leaking out of carb overflows.Adjusted floats a bit to solve that.Took out crabbing for 4 hours and ran without issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X