Yamaha 250 4 stroke owners w/ sitting outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 250 4 stroke owners w/ sitting outboards

Hello Guys, New to me, used 250 Yamaha 4 stroke 2007..

Our Boat sits for weeks at a time, on a trailer, yes, its been flushed, of course. but how often should one run it, to not get caught up in gas issues and varnish issues?

Fuel Tank kept full with Stabil.. added

250 4 stroke Yamaha 2007
    and how long a run would be sufficient ? 1 minute ?

need long time owners to respond this Outboard is used but new to me and will not be used often and can sit for 8 weeks. maybe more maybe less..

Would like to know how owners handle this, Thank you

see if you can tell which of these F250s you have as I am sure no one else will be able to with out you giving the model #
    2006 and Later Yamaha Outboard Parts

fuel injected motors have a better sealed up system on the motors so fuel does not evaporate away like the carbed motors. But 8 weeks at a time is kind of long to sit
    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-23-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Engine is > 6P2 F250 TXR
      4 Stroke Does this make a difference ?

Oh by the way, thank you for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Terry View Post
        Engine is > 6P2 F250 TXR
        4 Stroke Does this make a difference ?

Oh by the way, thank you for responding.
        probably not that much, but it is best to always post the model # when asking questions so everyone knows what it is

Comment

Hello Guys, New to me, used 250 Yamaha 4 stroke 2007..

Our Boat sits for weeks at a time, on a trailer, yes, its been flushed, of course. but how often should one run it, to not get caught up in gas issues and varnish issues?

Fuel Tank kept full with Stabil.. added

250 4 stroke Yamaha 2007
          and how long a run would be sufficient ? 1 minute ?

need long time owners to respond this Outboard is used but new to me and will not be used often and can sit for 8 weeks. maybe more maybe less..

Would like to know how owners handle this, Thank you
          I have had a Yamaha F150 (4 stroke) for 5 years. Never had a single issue with fuel or really anything else for that matter. So far, with one exception, I have been able to handle all my periodic maintenance.

I only use marine fuel with Yamaha Ring Free w/ stabilizer. Can't speak for Stabil...

During the winter I run my boat on the trailer at least once a month for 15-20 mins. I use two hoses and never had an issue running the engine hot out of the water. My two cents....hopefully the previous owners of your engine took care of it.

Comment

pstephens46
            Thank you
            Just returned from the Boat Started right up ... Yes the previous owners took real good care of it even with little use.
            I only ran it for about 3-4 minutes too afraid to run it longer as it dose not piss with hose hook ups .. Rabbit ears
            Does piss in water though.

New yearly water pump several weeks back.

Did you have a trickle charger on yours or take batteries off and trickle charge ? Not sure which way, I wish to go I have two batteries with a VCR switch,
            looking to know how to charge with this switch..too.

Comment

I do not trickle charge. No power where I store boat. Running boat 15-20 does the trick. Try using one hose on flush adapter and one on muffs. Bet it will pee just fine. I do not leave boat while running....

Comment

I have done that and wasn't impressed and got very concerned as the alarm went off!
                I have only one spigot and tried to use a "Y" one half to the ears and the other to the flush. I thought the ears would keep the impeller lubed (I am sure it did) and the flush would feed the engine.
                Not enough pressure from the hose to do both. We have an electric house water pump with maybe 35-40 PSI. I don't believe it feeds enough volume here.
                So I am thinking, as this is a big motor 250 HP it needs plenty of water!
                Next step is to get a bucket large enough, then I'll be more comfortable seeing if this handles the load and then pisses.

One would think the flusher line would feed the engine with enough water, it sure runs down to the pump or LU? but not through the engine with enough volume to that Pisser so therefore in my book it is not coming through the thermostat with enough force to flow at the same time out through the pisser and down to the LU.
                It is taking the path of least resistance and goes down to the LU, first, if there was enough volume then it would also come out the pisser.

This is My opinion on this, and any mechanics can weigh in, to concur or otherwise.

I don't know why the answers are just not available to us, I certainly would think so somewhere?

Comment

First off, switch to NON-Ethonol fuel. Yes, its expensive but in the long run, less fuel issues...

I had very bad results with Stabil in a small engine that the carb varnished up in a month. Threw that c..p as far as I could-IMO, useless.

I like K100 as a stabilizer. It also suspends any water in the system, doesn't settle in the bottom of the tank and eventually burns off,
                  video #3: Demonstration | Fuel Additive | K-100

I had fuel OVER two years old and it was fine with the K100 and Yamaha Ringfree(excellent stuff). Again, not cheap, but MUCH cheaper than cleaning injectors, etc.

Between NON-ethonol and K100, there is NO WATER, NO cloudiness is the VST when I drain it or the water separator. 20 year old ORIGINAL TANK, drained once(thru the fuel line), NEVER REMOVED, no water..

If you don't want/trust K100, get Yamaha's fuel stabilizer, but IME, chuck the Stabil..

You can drain the VST (should be a Phillips head screw at the bottom with a clear hose). Drain occasionally and pump the primer bulb if crap comes out

If you don't have water/fuel separator, get one. And keep an eye on the fuel filter under the cowl..

I do put keep my battery on a top of the line charger (only at night, hooked up to the dock light), the batteries lasted 4 years now vs usually 3: http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 4.3 No battery switches, quick SAE disconnect between the battery and charger (charger mounted in the lift control box).

I'll crank my engine up on muffs, plenty of water volume, (about 60 PSI), no over heat issues and run for at least 1o-15 minutes to warm up the oil. Also (after salt water use), 30 seconds of Salt Away applied with the engine hot to get on both sides of the thermostat..

And NEVER leave the engine running on muffs. I stay at the helm and literally watch the pisser(boats on a 4 post lift)..
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-24-2016, 04:15 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the info,

I'll check on the fuel available, I am on an Island and only one choice of fuel or diesel.
                    and I'll look into this K-100. Nice videos - impressive.
                    The previous owner did use the - Yamaha Ring free and said it was expensive, will continue to do so.
                    And there is a fuel separator, I thought all Boats had them buy now? LOL

Comment

Thanks for the info,

I'll check on the fuel available, I am on an Island and only one choice of fuel or diesel.
                      and I'll look into this K-100. Nice videos - impressive.
                      The previous owner did use the - Yamaha Ring free and said it was expensive, will continue to do so.
                      And there is a fuel separator, I thought all Boats had them buy now? LOL
                      RingFree from Amazon, $38.69 / 32 oz with free shipping in US. That's $15 a bottle CHEAPER than the dealer!!!! I run it in EVERY gas engine machine I own.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought three of them...(it'll last awhile @ 1 oz / 10 gallons normal use..)
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would like to have a barrel for flushing too. I don't have room to store the dumb thing. My y connector works well for flushing but I do have good pressure. Never had a over temp alarm on this engine. But, there is always tomorrow to deal with.

Comment

You can use this fogging mix at the end of the day, you will need about 1 gallon of mixture for a 20 min run hook it up on way in (last bit of run) and for fresh water flush. Connect at the primer bulb. You didn’t say how much onboard fuel you have if you’re not turning over a lot of fuel you may want to do your day runs on portable tanks? Than it’s up to you if you want to pull plugs spray cylinders etc.

Fogging Mixture
                          In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank, mix:
                          5 US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.
                          64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.
                          5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR
                          1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer
                          1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.
                          2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water
                          Separating Fuel Filter.
                          IMPORTANT: If the boat is out of the water, follow instructions for running engine on
                          flush device as found in service manual for the engine being fogged.
                          3. a. Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
                          b. VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.
                          4. After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine off.
                          IMPORTANT: Do not run engine’s fuel system dry of this fogging mixture in the 6 US
                          gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefish View Post
                            You can use this fogging mix at the end of the day, you will need about 1 gallon of mixture for a 20 min run hook it up on way in (last bit of run) and for fresh water flush. Connect at the primer bulb. You didn’t say how much onboard fuel you have if you’re not turning over a lot of fuel you may want to do your day runs on portable tanks? Than it’s up to you if you want to pull plugs spray cylinders etc.

Fogging Mixture
                            In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank, mix:
                            5 US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.
                            64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.
                            5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR
                            1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer
                            1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.
                            2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water
                            Separating Fuel Filter.
                            IMPORTANT: If the boat is out of the water, follow instructions for running engine on
                            flush device as found in service manual for the engine being fogged.
                            3. a. Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
                            b. VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.
                            4. After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine off.
                            IMPORTANT: Do not run engine’s fuel system dry of this fogging mixture in the 6 US
                            gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank.
                            Is this for end of season? If I had to do this "end of day" I would get rid of my boat.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              Is this for end of season? If I had to do this "end of day" I would get rid of my boat.
                              if you read the thread the OP lets it sit for 8 + - weeks at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X