No warning buzzer - 2005 F115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No warning buzzer - 2005 F115

Just bought used boat, w/ 2005 F115. 371 hours. Waiting for registration to come back, going through 'systems'.

ISSUE: NO BUZZER (At all)

I've searched, but my problem seems to be opposite of most.

Doesn't sound on key on, I've done the 'remove lanyard', no sound. I jumped what I assume is the temp sensor, but still nothing.

704 controls, yamaha switch, yamaha wiring harness from what I can tell.

Is the little pod on the ignition/key/switch the buzzer?

Is there a troubleshooting flow or a particular wire/connector I need to go to?

I don't want to just swapping switch or whatever as those aren't cheap parts.

I am always 'concerned' on outboard motors as sometimes I'm in bigger water that assistance is not always immediate, so a working warning system is imperative.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks,

The buzzer is Usually zip tied to the ignition cluster, it may be a bad buzzer. Ignition on ,try grounding out temp sensor, the check for voltage at the buzzer, also check the wires comming off buzzer and make sure the are plugged into harness ( previous owner may have disabled ) . Worst case , pick up a new one at radio shack ,I have done it before, not perfect, perfectly good enough , good luck , let us know

Comment

Thanks for quick response.

Thunderstorms just hit, so effort was cut short. At this point:

I could not get any sound by jumping what I am assuming is the temp sensor. What color wires?

I went to other end of system and pulled wires on buzzer. The buzzer was plugged in and after hitting it with power, the buzzer DOES sound, so the problem is not the buzzer per se so at least i can eliminate that issue.

I'll have to make sure i'm chasing correct wiring TO the buzzer, and if wiring is OK, try to figure out where the issue is.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Is buzzer supposed to sound on initial 'key on'? The last O/B I had (not YAM) always gave a full signal when you first turned key on. Does the YAM also do? just trying to not waste time on wrong assumptions.

Thanks,

Comment

My '06 F150 does not sound the buzzer upon start up..

Here's a link for the owners manual. The buzzer question should be in the manual for your model:

Owners Manuals, Outboard Engines | Yamaha Outboards

Page 21 and 22 specifically
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

single engine Yamaha does not self test at key on.
          if the alarm wont sound while cranking with the lanyard out the system is faulty.
          on that motor the ECU controls the ground path for the alarm.
          the key switch supplies 12V to the buzzer anytime the key is on.
          the ECU controls the ground via the pink wire in the 10 pin main harness.

you CANNOT trigger the alarm by simply shorting a switch.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent responses.

I have at least initial success at this point. I pulled lanyard and went to 'start' position and the buzzer fired off.

Admitting my initial mistake, based on other postings on other forums, I was only taking key to 'on' position with lanyard out. When I took it to Start as noted above, it did sound.

Thanks for all the help. New to forum as I'm new to YAM outboards, but I can near promise I'll be back....

Comment

Easy peezy fix!!! Wish they were all that easy!

Congrates, safe boating and welcome to the forum!
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X