X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be posting more videos tonight that might help

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

I bought some of “special” fuel line Yamaha zip ties. Have a couple left. I put one next to a cheap Lowe’s version and could not tell a difference. The edges were not rounded any more than the other. $1.50 each I believe.
      Evinrude made (I reckon they still do) zip ties for fuel lines that HAVE A ROUNDED inner part to it, NOT squared inner edge off like a Home Depo tie.

When cinched down, they pretty much compress completely around the hose...

I bought a couple maybe a year ago at the Yamaha/Evinrude dealership down here..

Here ya go, http://www.marineengine.com/newparts...pnum=OMC320107 :

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-27-2018, 07:21 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

interestingly they also list the part # for Volvo,Suzuki,SEI on that site

Comment

Looks like you need a new tape measure as well.

Comment

ok im going to post 3 different videos , 1st the motor at idle, 2nd the motor at 1800 rpms and the last my other motor with no problems.

Comment

2nd 1800 rpms

Comment

3rd working motor at 1800 rpm

Comment

I think the videos really show what's going on so im hoping for some answers.

Comment

I have never seen the fuel level change like the first two videos. My F150 looks like video 3. Fairfeal? You need to put the red ring back on the “legs” of the filter assembly. Shouldn’t impact this exercise. Bend the legs out and it will stay in place.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      I have never seen the fuel level change like the first two videos. My F150 looks like video 3. Fairfeal? You need to put the red ring back on the “legs” of the filter assembly. Shouldn’t impact this exercise. Bend the legs out and it will stay in place.
                      My observation as well, seems fuel going up and down excessively, but I guess this is a visual indication/verification something not quite right.
                      I question that red ring in bottom of fuel bowl, whereas good motor seems secure.
                      Don't know exactly what it does, but if filter element allowed to move, maybe not doing its job properly opening up the possibility that stuff has gone upstream to injectors.
                      Also maybe over thinking, prompted by what pstephens said, that red ring may have expanded by ethanol in fuel, and perhaps water has gone past sitting somewhere blocking/slowing fuel flow - so back to my earlier: are you sure about the fuel consistency, whether ethanol or other additives varied over the season? Fuel left in system goes bad if left for sometime such as in winter non use.
                      Last edited by zenoahphobic; 05-26-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

What I see in video #1 the lift pump cycling on and off, engine at idle, below 1200 rpm, so it is doing what it is supposed to do. I don't know if the fuel level in the filter bowl is supposed to change that much.

Video #2 the lift pump is still cycling on and off BUT the engine is at 1800 rpm. Shouldn't the lift pump be running continously at this rpm?

Video #3 The "good" motor at 1800 rpm and the fuel level is not going up and down, indicating that the lift pump is running continously as it should be.

That would lead me to investigate why the pump on the contrary motor appears to be still cycling when the engine is above 1200 rpm and it now should be running continously.

Hopefully Rod and Boscoe will have a look at them and give their thoughts.

Only thing you left out for comparison of the two engines is the "good motor" at idle.Does the fuel level on that motor change levels that much with the pump cycling on and off?
                        Last edited by panasonic; 05-27-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

very interesting.

My initial reaction to #1 and #2 was that I had never seen a fuel bowl look so "full"

I really don't know what to make of that-
                          "normal" for me is #3 - where the bowl always looks half empty

the other oddity is how long, in #2, the lift pump seems to be "pulling" -
                          at 1800 rpms, no load, there isn't very much fuel being used -
                          so once the float in the VST opens the needle valve,
                          it should fill in a flash
                          just as seen in "good motor" #3 - where the apparent level barely moves

personally, I would get the motor up on land,
                          take off the intake runners to get at the pump/VST
                          and use a test lead to make the pump run for testing
                          - plumb in a vacuum gauge at the lift pump inlet, see what I get
                          - plumb in a pressure gauge at the lift pump outlet, see what I get

Comment

When I was running the motor at 1800 you can hear the motor struggle, like it was ready to shut down and come back. The red ring is a float ring that floats if water is present. With having twin motors I don't think fuel. There is an obvious difference between the two. The question is what am I seeing, a lift pump just cycling all the time? A pressure relief valve not working right? Computer not telling the pump to stop cycling? A bad lift pump? As stated before an air leak?

Comment

Originally posted by marchmadness View Post
                              When I was running the motor at 1800 you can hear the motor struggle, like it was ready to shut down and come back.
                              I imagine that the VST was running out of fuel -
                              as in, the lift pump was running, but not able able to move fuel into it.
                              A restriction on the suction side?

get a vacuum gauge on that puppy...
                              Last edited by fairdeal; 05-27-2018, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                                Looks like you need a new tape measure as well.
                                Not my tape measure or zip tie. Pic stolen from the net!

My F150 stays about 3/4 full, never seen a fluctuation as yours either.

And the red ring (to show water inside) should be atop the white plastic arms (so it can float upwards if water is present)
                                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-27-2018, 07:28 AM.
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X