No announcement yet.

Fuel starvation yamaha f225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old mako 69 we have had the same issue all the time. everything is fine you can run all day but just don't shut off the motor.

Comment

• Towns,

<<"Sounds like the line to the VST drains all the fuel once you turn it off...">>

I don't believe that the VST drains when I shut off (at the end of the day or otherwise). I say this because I do not squeeze the bulbs before I start the boat the next day. I simply fire 'em up and head offshore. The engines start typically within the first 2 - 3 seconds of cranking and settle down to a nice smooth idle.

This isn't enough time for the LP pump to fill the VST. And, isn't it true that the LP pump doesn't run until after the engine starts? My understanding is that only the HP pump runs at key ON to pressurize the feed lined to the injectors. Once running, the LP begins its 10-20 routine.

The ONLY time this issue occurs is when the engine is shut down and then started while still warm. It will start, but at throttle up, it dies.
      Last edited by oldmako69; 08-24-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Sounds like the line to the VST drains all the fuel once you turn it off...

Dunno if there's a check valve under the cowl for that or ?
        Makes me thankful I have two cam driven low pressure mechanical fuel pumps. They don’t need a signal from anything.

can the lp line from tank be pressurized or vacuum tested?

Comment

• VST has a drain plug. Could you not get another plug that will fit, that has a nipple on it. Connect a piece of clear fuel tubing, a bit longer than the hieght of the VST body to this nipple and tie wrap it to the VST in a vertical position.

Now you will be able to monitor the fuel level in the VST by looking at the level of the fuel in the clear line OUTSIDE the VST.

I hope you get what I mean . I used to do this Carbs when setting float heights to get the fuel levels in the bowls just right.

Comment

• Has anyone heard about wiring harnesses going bad on these year motors causing problems

Comment

• Ok still waiting to hear from Yamaha. I decided to call myself because my boat sits in dry dock. I was looking through my service manual and under troubleshooting for engine dies under acceleration it says plug into diagnostic 😂 that’s it. I am so done with this it makes me want to give up on boating

Comment

• did you or he do any testing when it acted up?

how do you expect to find the issue if that is not done?

Comment

• He said he did and sent the information to Yamaha. He said he found nothing. He contacted Yamaha looking for an answer to what to do next said everything is working the way it should

Comment

• Ok Yamaha did not contact me but they did contact the mechanic. I guess they said to check for a leak on the intake manifold.

Comment

• what do you mean you guess they said.
                      not sure how an intake manifold leak would cause this

Comment

• I only spoke with the mechanic who told me he spoke to Yamaha. I think I would have been better off still doing it on my own. I have no luck with outboard mechanics. This is the second mechanic to tell me there’s nothing wrong

Comment

• Good Luck MarchMadness! Any new updates from Yamaha on your issue?

We just picked up a 2004 Hurricane with a Yamaha 225 (~250 hours) and are having the same warm/hot start issue as was described early in this thread. The boat is at the dealer now and I am hopeful they will find the issue, if not, this thread has given us a good idea on where to start troubleshooting.

Comment

• The only update that I have is that my boat has been dry docked for 1 month. Nikrap2018 I’m sorry you have this problem. I hope it’s a simple fix for you. I was hoping that Yamaha would help me out. I figure that I will be getting a broken boat back soon.

Comment

• So I got the call that I figured was coming. To come get the boat he couldn’t fix it. I not sure what to do next

Comment

• 1. Don't shut it off and if you do...
                                2. Squeeze that bulb.

Sucks.

You have twins right? May I assume that only one engine behaves like this and that you have already swapped the fuel supply P to S upstream of the Racors to see if the issue follows?

Comment

Working...
                                X