Yamaha Command Link installation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Command Link installation...

I repowered recently from a Yamaha 1995 55hp 2-stroke to a Yamaha 2008 F60TLR 4 stroke. I purchased the 6Y8-0E83R-81-00 Command Link single round gauge kit. Since it doesn't come with any wiring instrucions, I contacted the shop I bought it from and they provided me with a basic connection guide. Once the 2 different wire harness and tachometer were plugged together, there are basically 2 wires to hook up at the ignition switch, a yellow and black. The yellow plugged right into another yellow, but the black wire did not have a male end so I had to use a jumper wire just to test the system. The gauge powers up, the motor starts and runs, but the tachometer doesn't display the rpms or other information, just one trim bar and rpmX10. I'm wondering if I need to change out the ignition to a more modern one that will plug and play with the new wires. I have pretty good mechanical and electrical skills and have run out of ideas. Has anyone here installed one of these kits on a boat with older wiring? Thanks in advance for any help. Gil
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gilmarlin; 06-10-2016, 07:24 PM.

in your first photo - the connector that's marked "CL port on engine" -

(shown below circled)

you were able to connect that?

Comment

Yes, there was a square 4 prong connector with the same 2 blue and white wires at the engine that wasn't connected to anything. I was told that those 2 wires carried the engine overheat, oil pressure, tach and trim information and was all I needed to connect.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by gilmarlin; 06-10-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

A 2004 F60TLRC should not have Command Link capability. The F60TLRC has carburetors. Command Link was not introduced until post 2005 model motors (F60TLR) fuel injected models, however some F60TLRD's might have gotten the capability.

To get the trim to work there should be two single pink wires in the engine pan. Taped together with yellow tape. Those two connectors have to be plugged together to put trim information on the CL network.

What is the complete ID of the motor? What is the dash number on the ECU of the motor that you have?

This is a typical configuration for those motors that support the two gauge CL kit.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 06-10-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the typo, it's a 2008 F60TLR, fuel injected, it is compatible with command link...
          Last edited by gilmarlin; 06-10-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

The flat bar in the tachometer indicates that the motor is not communicating with the gauge. Try the other gauge connector and see what happens. Disconnect and reconnect all connectors.

The gauge only sees power, ground and data. You have the first two. Not sure why data is not being seen.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that...

Comment

Can anyone tell me where the CL data plug on the motor is? I want to make sure I have it plugged into the right wires...

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the diagram, I checked all the connections and it appears to be hooked up right. I don't know what can be wrong unless the motor isn't sending any data or the new tach is defective. I called the shop where I got the motor and tach kit and they didn't call back. I've also shown the new motor to my certified Yamaha mechanic here in San Diego and he recommended the same tach kit that the other shop sold me, so I'm confident I have the right system. The San Diego mechanic doesn't return calls either, so I'm looking for someone here in San Diego to figure it out for me. Anyone??? I have everything accessible and above deck so it is easy to get at. Once someone gets it working I will then pull the wire and reconnect everything. Thanks again, Gil

Comment

Working...
                    X