new gauges for an older 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new gauges for an older 225

I've been on this thread before with a different way of asking this question so I'll reframe it.

The motor is 225 4 stroke built in 11/2004. The boat has Faria analog gauges that have speed, tach, trim and fuel gauge. There are no Yamaha gauges on the boat. Additionally I do have an N2k backbone and I did try to connect the motor to my new MFD via a Lowrance cable (connected to the blue/white wire connector) but the MFD did not detect any signal coming off of the motor while the motor was running.

I'd like to have: engine hour, fuel consumption. I also noticed there are two unused plugs coming off of the ignition harness.

2 Questions: Is there a Yamaha gauge that provides this info for this motor. 2. Can it be easily connected - like maybe to those unused connectors or do I have to run a new harness back to the engine? Appreciate any help.

you need to take the intake silencer off and get a look at your ECM

given your date of manufacture, you probably have a -30 part.

You are lucky to have the connector on the engine harness for the Lowrance cable -

but to get "engine hour, fuel consumption "

and the rest of the N2K (Command Link) output, you need a -31 ECM

You can get one on eBay - I had to wait for a while, but I got one for $250

Comment

And if you do install a -31 or later ECU keep in mind that the engine hours recorded in it will not be the same as the hours that are recorded in your present ECU.

Comment

Thanks on the ECM input. I assume that since I'm not getting the feed from the white/blue connector to the N2K backbone than I have the older ECM.
        Therefore, I was hoping I could just add another yamaha gauge to an existing harness.

Comment

Originally posted by captn tj View Post
          Thanks on the ECM input. I assume that since I'm not getting the feed from the white/blue connector to the N2K backbone than I have the older ECM.
          Therefore, I was hoping I could just add another yamaha gauge to an existing harness.
          Are you wanting to add Yamaha gauges? What is your objective?

The only thing that your motor will provide to a Yamaha gauge is engine trim angle, low oil pressure light, over temperature light, RPM and maybe a water in fuel warning.

A new Yamaha multi-function tachometer will log tachometer hours but not engine hours.

A Yamaha fuel meter will provide fuel flow information and miles per gallon when connected to a speed input.

Would be cheaper to find a use -31 or later ECU on Ebay if you want data from the motor.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...33877210466946
          Last edited by boscoe99; 06-01-2016, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I was wondering also if any yamaha brand digital hour meters plug and play and display hours from the ECM or only available gauges display key on or tach hours only and ECM actual engine hours can only be available via NMEA2000 network.

Comment

Originally posted by MobyHick View Post
              I was wondering also if any yamaha brand digital hour meters plug and play and display hours from the ECM or only available gauges display key on or tach hours only and ECM actual engine hours can only be available via NMEA2000 network.
              The only Yamaha brand digital meters that will display hours from the engine ECU are those that are known as Command Link or Command Link Plus. But the motor has to be Command Link or Command Link Plus compatible. It takes the two to tango.

Only those models that can display engine hours on a Yamaha CL or CL+ gauge can feed the engine data to an NEMA 2000 network and on to an NMEA 2000 device.

Command Link was introduced in EFI four strokes and HPDI models beginning circa 2005.

Comment

I dont have command link and not a chance of throwing money at that so Ill just install a regular old spark wire hour meter then.

Comment

How do you install a command link hour meter, I have a 2018 G3 angler w/F-90XA outboard motor

Comment

certainly a 2018 F90 is Command Link capable.

but what is it you want - just an hour meter? nothing more?

there is no "Command Link" hour meter" - although a Command Link tachometer will display engine hours

and there is a Yamaha hour meter

Comment

just an hour meter to cut down on the estimations for maintance,

Comment

I assume you splice it into the starter switch so it is only on when the motor is running

Comment

I have a Tachometer but it doesn't display engine hours

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X