Yamaha outboard gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha outboard gauges

I have a yamaha F115 with yamaha digital gauges. Recently the speedo gauge started showing "ERR". I am assuming this is "error". Problem is that I cannot find anything about this anywhere. If it is simply the gauge then that is an easy fix and I can do it myself but if it is something else then I would need some help with this. I would rather not drive my boat all over God's creation and have my boat sitting in a yard for a month waiting for this to be serviced. Please let me know if anyone knows what this is.

Very little if any troubleshooting literature on the web, believe me. Start with the basics...check fuses and connections. Unplug the harness on both ends, look for signs of corrosion. If your engine model uses a speedometer tube check it.

Some of the pros's on the forum will chime in at some point. But what you'll also probably hear is that so long as you're able to read rpms and the oil and overheat alarms are functioning then its not unsafe to use motor. I don't have a speedometer for my 115. A speedometer is more of a luxury, not necessary for safley operating a outbound motor. All of the above are.

Good luck
    Last edited by Jason2tpa; 05-07-2016, 06:38 PM.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

usually the gauge manual will give some insite to what to look for when a code come up on display.

have you looked in the manual yet?

Comment

Agreed on both the above posts re checking connections for corrosion, loose wires, etc.

Should all your connectors be fine, some things to check:

Does you gauge operate on water pressure?

IE, they'll be about a 3/16" HOSE attached to the back of the gauge. That hose would run down, thru the hull to the engine. It'd have a connector about 1' away from the engine itself.

At the leading edge of the LU, is a VERY SMALL pitot hole that allows water to enter, pressurize the tube and thus, send pressure to the speedometer. Its not uncommon, especially in salt water, for that pitot to clog up.

The speedometer usually just stops reading, the ERR, I've never encountered..

Here's a link how I keep my speedometer/line, etc clean and ALWAYS working.

You can use at least some of it to open up your lines (If it is indeed as described above).

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th23159.html

Also, if you put maybe 5- 15 PSI (from an air compressor) to the back of the gauge (where the hose would be), the gauge should read a minimum of 4 MPH...
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-07-2016, 06:56 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Gauge manual gives no info on error codes showing on gauge. The problem is that the digital speedo gauge also has the fuel meter as well as high temp alarm so I am not comfortable running it without the gauge working properly.

I will attempt trouble shooting the gauge. I have already done this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQ3opX9yhU

the lines in the lower unit are clear. I have not tested the line from lower unit to gauge. It is a pressure gauge that registers pressure mechanically and then converts to digital for display. The question is why would the entire gauge malfunction if it were just a problem with the speedo sensor?

Comment

I do not think low or high pressure would cause an error to show up, but it might if it was out of range of what it expects to see under normal operation

Comment

Originally posted by michbol1 View Post
              I have not tested the line from lower unit to gauge. It is a pressure gauge that registers pressure mechanically and then converts to digital for display. The question is why would the entire gauge malfunction if it were just a problem with the speedo sensor?
              As I noted earlier, I've never seen the "ERR" on the speedometer and your set up is the same as mine.

Is your fuel gauge working correctly and did you try grounding the temp wire on the motor (from the temp sensor/switch)?

Grounding it would activate the temp alarm. It may take several seconds (from what I've read here) to activate.

The first time I turned my air pump on (in that link above), I pumped probably a cup of salt water that remained in the line, under the deck.

**I would rule out pressure, lack of, etc to the gauge itself first.

Again, a spritz of air to the back of the gauge should do it. Just as a side note, with the set up on that link and the "T" I have under the console, once I flush the engine pitot hole with pressurized water, most of it comes back out.
              I then turn on the air pump(from the console), more comes out and when completely clear, the speedometer WILL READ approx 10MPH just with the air from the pump (and more water comes out from the engine).
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-08-2016, 04:35 PM.
              Scott

Comment

I just found this, page 27:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...rrent_1792.pdf

Has anyone been dinking around back by the gauge and bumped a switch??
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X