Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does this connection from my Tach go on F150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does this connection from my Tach go on F150?

I bought a used 2007 Yamaha F150 and am figuring out the wiring before I put it on my boat. My issue is the controls and digital tach it came with it were from a different boat so were never actually used with this motor.

My problem is right now when I run it I get erractic rpm numbers or none and no trim indications on the digital tach. I'm not sure if the overheat or oil pressure lights are working and one (4 pin) connection from the tach is not able to connect to the motor.

My main question is where does this 4 pin Nylon Connector from the tach attach to my motor? I can find any plug that will work in the front of the engine. The Plug has these wire colors: (Grey, Pink, Black, Orange). It's hard to see but I'm holding the connector in pictures 1 and 4 below.

My tach has a single wire bundle exiting the back and the number 534 on it. The tach has (2) 4-pin nylon connectors exiting it.

Am I missing a wiring harness or something?

Which color wires do what?

Thanks guys!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NW Drifter; 02-28-2016, 11:10 PM.

the harness with the orange,pink,black and gray is the trim harness,keep hunting there is another on the motor.

Comment

On a 2007 production year motor?

Comment

There is not another 4 pin connector. The motor was made 2/2007.

I was reading some early posts on this forum (link below) about a 2005 f150 that are about a similar problem but I don't have another plug (that will fit) in my engine pan.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th24834.html

The pic below shows the other connectors there but none fit or even had the same wire colors as the extra 4pin from Tach.

Is there an adapter so I can use this tach? The engine oil pressure and temp are really important to me.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NW Drifter; 02-29-2016, 12:59 PM.

Comment

If your tachometer has two four pin nylon connectors then it was designed for a 2004 and earliar Yamaha.

Yamaha sells an adapter harness that connects at the tachometer end so that the one connector from the motor will branch into two connectors at the tachometer.

Comment

seems he was having a problem hooking up at the motor not the tach.
            I am not sure what all he has from what he wrote.

Originally posted by NW Drifter View Post
            My tach has a single wire bundle exiting the back and the number 534 on it. The tach has (2) 4-pin nylon connectors exiting it.
            Last edited by 99yam40; 02-29-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              If your tachometer has two four pin nylon connectors then it was designed for a 2004 and earliar Yamaha.

Yamaha sells an adapter harness that connects at the tachometer end so that the one connector from the motor will branch into two connectors at the tachometer.
              Thanks for the help.

Looks like it's this adapter that I need: Yamaha: 6Y5-85335-00-00

Yamaha Multi Function Gauge Tachometer Tach Adapter Cable 6Y5 85335 00 00 | eBay

Anyway you can tell me which wires to jump so I don't need to buy a $60 wire??? I would appreciate!

Thanks again.

Comment

So I bought that "adapter" wire for $60 that I mentioned above, it doesn't do anything different. My Tach isn't showing any rpms. The "test Phase" does work and show all the numbers when I turn the key one click but nothing on start.

Any ideas on what could cause this?

Comment

So I bought that "adapter" wire for $60 that I mentioned above, it doesn't do anything different. My Tach isn't showing any rpms. The "test Phase" does work and show all the numbers when I turn the key one click but nothing on start.

Any ideas on what could cause this?
                  The adapter harness has nothing to do with the tachometer function. The harness is for the over temperature and oil pressure warnings plus the trim indication.

The green wire in a small fused harness that provides electrical power to the tachometer is for the tachometer signal.
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 03-10-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Boscoe you were right about the green wire, as soon as you said that I took a close look at the wire and found 2 barrel connections on it with extra corrosion and replace the connections. Boom, got the RPMs to show up. Thanks again.

So the yamaha adapter wire but it had 2 plugs into 2 plugs so not sure what it did. It doesn't join 2 plugs into 1 like I thought it woudl. It allows me to plug a differnt tach plug into the motor (male instead of female or vice versa). Without it the other tach plug plugs in. Seems weird.

I don't care about the trim indicator, my sensor is broke anyway, but I do want the temp and oil indicators to work. How I can I be sure they are working?

On the 2004 and earlier model what wire colors are the oil pressure and temp?

Comment

can someone reformat those pics?
                      if so I can tell you how to make it works as long as the tach is newer than 01 and is 4 stroke compatible.

Comment

I bought a used 2007 Yamaha F150 and am figuring out the wiring before I put it on my boat. My issue is the controls and digital tach it came with it were from a different boat so were never actually used with this motor.

My problem is right now when I run it I get erractic rpm numbers or none and no trim indications on the digital tach. I'm not sure if the overheat or oil pressure lights are working and one (4 pin) connection from the tach is not able to connect to the motor.

My main question is where does this 4 pin Nylon Connector from the tach attach to my motor? I can find any plug that will work in the front of the engine. The Plug has these wire colors: (Grey, Pink, Black, Orange). It's hard to see but I'm holding the connector in pictures 1 and 4 below.

Am I missing a wiring harness or something?

Which color wires do what?

Thanks guys!
                        Hope these are the pics you wanted redone

Last edited by 99yam40; 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Here is the only other pic in the thread I saw

Comment

first lets check the dip switchs.
                            1 on 2 off 3 on.

that's a must.

now for a moment forget about the harness wire colors between the engine 4 pin and the tach 4 pin.
                            they are irrelavent as the electrons are rather color blind.

the indivual wires can be removed and reinserted on the harness between the tach and the engine.

from the engine 4 pin pink with a black tracer will go to the green on the tach,this is overtemp visual.

from the engine 4 pin pink with white tracer will go to the tach 4 pin green/red
                            this is oil warning visual.

the pink is for trim indicate and will go from pink on the engine 4 pin to the pink on the tach leads.
                            once you fix the trim sender I can tell you how to make that work as well.

Comment

Graphically the trim and warning harness will be connected as follows. If you have the adapter harness it is all plug and play.

Comment

Working...
                              X