6y5-2818r-41 Fuel Management Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6y5-2818r-41 Fuel Management Guage

I have this Fuel Management Gauge attached to twin yamaha 250s 4 stroke and it works great.
    recently attached to Yamaha 150 4 stroke. unit does not record at slower speeds in the 150. do not get it because unit on 250,s records even at idle speeds. any suggestions how to correct?
    Last edited by MILLROB@GMAIL.COM; 01-17-2016, 09:53 AM. Reason: more descriptive and spelling errors

The fuel system on an F150 is different from an F250.

The F150 uses a mechanical lift pump that operates all of the time irrespective of the engine RPM. The F250 uses an electrical fuel pump that operates intermittently when the engine RPM is below 1200 RPM.

With the F250 running at low RPM the gauge should indicate zero fuel flow for a period of time (pump not running) and then when the pump begins to run the fuel flow will spike to many gallons per minute. The instantaneous fuel flow is not usable but the total fuel being consumed gets added to the equation.

With the F150 you should see a fairly steady flow of fuel at all RPM's. Now what may be happening is that the F150 uses so little fuel at an idle RPM that it might not be showing up on the gauge. And maybe the sender is a bit tired and worn and is contributing to the problem. At idle an F150 will probably be drinking a half gallon of gasoline an hour. That small an amount is harder to measure.

One F250 is using much more fuel than one F150. Two F250's are going to be using even much more fuel than will the single F150.

You have two fuel flow senders available don't you? Only one of which is now being used with the single F150? If so, I would try the other sender and see if the situation improves. Let us know.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 01-17-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

ber Join Date: Jan 2016 Posts: 1 Cool 6y5-2818r-41 Fuel Management Guage

thanks for the reply, first lets forget about the twin 250's I bought that boat and it came with the fuel management system that works great. so I really do not want to mess with it. Lets talk about the 150.
      I purchased and installed a new management system. The key here is that it is brand new. I have since checked all connections and installing method to ensure that the hook up is correct and it is.
      Here is what happens. at low speed and idle it simply does not register. If I gun it and then go to lower speeds it will register say 0.6 gallons/ hour, but even if I get it to 1 gallon or 1.6 gallons per hour it inevitably returns to zero.
      The other symptom that at a medium constant speed the fuel consumption tends to cycle with different readings over a very short period of time. So while i am idling out or at slower speeds it simply registers 0

Comment

I have 6Y5-2818R-41 FMM gauge on my F100 and when motor is at idle sometimes doesn't show the fuel consumption.

Best I recall just show readings/fuel consumption above 3L/h but for me that doesn´t concern me.

Comment

Originally posted by MILLROB@GMAIL.COM View Post
          thanks for the reply, first lets forget about the twin 250's I bought that boat and it came with the fuel management system that works great. so I really do not want to mess with it. Lets talk about the 150.
          I purchased and installed a new management system. The key here is that it is brand new. I have since checked all connections and installing method to ensure that the hook up is correct and it is.
          Here is what happens. at low speed and idle it simply does not register. If I gun it and then go to lower speeds it will register say 0.6 gallons/ hour, but even if I get it to 1 gallon or 1.6 gallons per hour it inevitably returns to zero.
          The other symptom that at a medium constant speed the fuel consumption tends to cycle with different readings over a very short period of time. So while i am idling out or at slower speeds it simply registers 0
          What does it indicate when you are plane and cruising at say 4000 RPM or so?

I don't think there is a problem with either your instrument or your sender. There is probably just not enough fuel flow at a low RPM to register on the instrument.

The instrument is totalizing fuel flow but cannot indicate instantaneous fuel flow below some certain value.

I am guessing here but think that Floscan makes the instrument for Yamaha. According to Floscans website they offer different flow senders for different HP motors. Makes sense given the different fuel flow requirements between smaller HP motors and larger HP motors. Yamaha unfortunately only offers one sender type. And it is rated for two stroke models up to 300 HP that are known to be gasoline guzzlers.

Comment

Need a how to install the fuel management gauge PN: 6Y5-2818R-41. It’s for twin 2003 Yamaha 225hp 4S, my boat is a 27’ Boston Whaler outrage. It’s not reading fuel ect, the gauge is brand new. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comment

Working...
            X