1985 40 2 stroke will not crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 40 2 stroke will not crank

Electric start ONLY is hooked up to crank. Ran this motor all summer with no problems at all, first turn of the key it started. It has been in my garage for probably 4-5 months without being ran. I put some stabil in the tank the other day and it would not start. I replaced all 3 spark plugs and it wouldn't start. I took one of the spark plugs out and grounded it to a spot on the motor to see if I could see any spark/fire getting there, there was not. I do not know a whole lot more than this I'm guessing it is in the coils, or before. Any suggestions??
    Thanks!
    Last edited by taylormcfaddin; 12-16-2015, 12:36 AM.

What makes you think putting stabil into old gas would help it crank?

Testing using the proper test equipment and specs from service manual will point you in the correct direction for loss of spark.
    Might check the safety kill switch/ lanyard to make sure it is in place if all plugs do not spark

Comment

I suspected the gas was not too far gone so I put stabil in as an extra precautionary.

I checked to make sure the kill switch was out as well.

I have not tried this but I have heard that taking out all of the spark plugs and trying to crank it will blow out any possible debris, but I'm not sure that is where the problem is. Also have heard to check the rubber boots that plug onto the spark plugs. Does this sound liable?

Comment

Back to the age old question, is the motor CRANKING but not STARTING?

Comment

I'm sorry but I am not sure how to differentiate. When I turn the key the fly wheel (i believe is what its called) is turning like it is trying to crank/start. It will do just as this motor here is doing….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHJdD5EZQ18

Comment

Your video shows it not running but the text says its fixed? There's no other links.

Does it run or? And if so, what was the issue?
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes, it cranks over fine (and that is the flywheel) but does not start.

Your video shows it not running but the text says its fixed? There's no other links.

Scott

Comment

The video was posted in March of 2014 and the OP was using it as an example of what his motor is doing. It is turning over (cranking) but not starting.
                Originally posted by taylormcfaddin View Post
                It will do just as this motor here is doing….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHJdD5EZQ18

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
                  The video was posted in March of 2014 and the OP was using it as an example of what his motor is doing. It is turning over (cranking) but not starting.
                  Thanks.........
                  Scott

Comment

How in the world did the term "start" ever become confused with the word "crank"?

Can a crank shaft be referred to as a start shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

The motor will crank but it will not start. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        How in the world did the term "start" ever become confused with the word "crank"?

Can a crank shaft be referred to as a start shaft?
                        In this day and age apparently it can be whatever you want it to be. Excuse me for not using the correct term. Do you have any suggestions for how to get my motor to "start"??

Comment

Originally posted by taylormcfaddin View Post
                          In this day and age apparently it can be whatever you want it to be. Excuse me for not using the correct term. Do you have any suggestions for how to get my motor to "start"??
                          Obviously, especially over the net, the correct words are very important.

In any case, you posted : "Electric start ONLY is hooked up to crank."
                          I gather the IGNITION SWITCH IS TURNED ON?

If it is, just to confirm, when you remove the spark plugs, plug them into the ignition wires, ground and crank(spin over), there's NO SPARK???

I'm not sure if your trying to bypass something in the starting procedure. If you are, please put on "muffs" and water and try to start normally (and check spark as well).

Many times, even with a fuel stabilizer, the carbs will still varnish up. In any case, there's plugs in the float bowls. Please remove the drain plugs and try to catch what come out. Look for debris, smell it (you should be able to tell if its foul by the smell/look, cloudyness).
                          Scott

Comment

If there is no spark then the first and simplest thing to check is if the kill switch is disconnected. Assuming that this model uses one.

Is this a remote con*****ed model or a tiller handle model? Does it use a kill switch?

Coils would be way down on the list of being a problem. They rarely ever fail. For all three to fail at the same time is extremely unlikely.

Comment

OK, so the motor turns over OK, make absolutely sure the kill switch is in place, the ignition is on and test for spark, sometimes the spark is hard to see out in bright sun light, take the trouble shooting in steps, do not start suspecting everything and pull things to bits, no spark? Forget the fuel system for a while, but you need to be certain there is no spark!

Comment

Working...
                              X