Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 HP 2 stroke water fuel separator

1993 25 HP 2 stroke

Hey guys. I need to invest in a water fuel separator, preferably one that can be spliced into the fuel line between bulb and fuel pump. I have a portable 6 gallon tank, strickly non-ethanol fuel. Suggestions on what manufacturer? Must the filter be specifically made for yamaha? Thanks
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

You have choices. Yamaha, Sierra, Racor, Moeller, etc.

2015_Yamaha_MRP

2014 Sierra Catalog

Racor Spin On Fuel Filter Gas/Water Separators

Fuel Filters - Moeller Marine Online

Sierra makes the Yamaha branded filters by the way.

Comment

Awesome thanks. Do you know if splicing in the filter versus mounting a cannister is indicated for my engine? I couldn't find this info in the owner or service manuals.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      You have choices. Yamaha, Sierra, Racor, Moeller, etc.

2015_Yamaha_MRP

2014 Sierra Catalog

Racor Spin On Fuel Filter Gas/Water Separators

Fuel Filters - Moeller Marine Online

Sierra makes the Yamaha branded filters by the way.
      Jason

Comment

Your engine came with a fuel filter installed on it. If you can keep your fuel clean and free of water then perhaps that filter alone will suffice. I ran a 1980 25 HP Mercury motor for over thirty years with just the single engine mounted fuel filter and never once had a problem.

Folks having filtration issues or water in fuel issues sometimes install a canister type somewhere between the fuel tank and the fuel hose inlet to the motor. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach. Yamaha recommends that one be installed. Mercury Marine recommends that they not be installed. So it goes.

There are two several different types of cannisters. Those with a metal bowl, those with a plastic bowl and those with no bowls at all. Those with bowls may have a tap so that if water is in the bowl it can be drained off.

Are you having a problem with your carburetors getting contaminated?

Comment

A 6 gal portable tank is easy to drain and clean.
          Adding a extra filter is not needed unless you put contaminated fuel into the cleaned tank.
          Everyone has their own opinion though

Comment

agree with above^

simple to test for water in fuel. but that small of a tank I don`t see it necc to add a WS.
            02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
            02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Walmart carries the Attwood fuel/water separator for about $28, easy to install and an excellent preventive maintenance item....I'd never operated an outboard without one....plus a fuel stabilizer like Stabil. Also learn to drain your carb float chambers for extended motor lay-ups...Then you'll be about home free regarding carb issues....

Comment

Hey guys. I greatly appreciate all of your responses. Instead of replying to each individual thread I'll reply back to all of ya at once.

I definitley don't have a fuel issue, as in bad fuel. I take the boat out 3-5 times a week. Always have fresh fuel and I add Seafoam to each fill up. I use the non-compliant EPA fuel vent cap (the one you can twist to relieve the pressure). Problem is I forgot a few times the vent cap was open when either washing the boat, rain storm, etc. So water gets in the tank. No fuel-water separator is going to fix my forgetful mind, though the filter in-line would help out if I did forget. I went to westmarine today to check out the filters. $60-80!! I thought there was an inexpensive filter you can splice into the fuel line, between the bulb and fuel pump. Apparently not. So after leaving the store I went to the boat, emptied the carb bowls, flushed out the fuel filter, cleared the fuel lines between the tank and carbs. I had 4 gallons or so in my tank and didn't want to waste it. So went about siphoning out the water in the fuel tank the old school way....putting a rubber hose at the bottom of the tank and sucking out the gas (or water, hopefully), then letting gravity do the rest. Took out about 1/4 or so of fuel). Took the boat out and she ran great. But...toward the end of my run I openned up the throttle and guess what....she started sputtering. Which tells me either I didn't rid of the water in the tank, right??
                So I dumped the fuel, rinsed out the tank, and I"m gonna let the tank fully dry in the sun tomorrow. If that doesn't work I"m lost. What do you guys think? Thanks again!
                Jason

Comment

myself?
                  I would make a cover for the vent out of tinfoil or an old Gatorade bottle, clean the fuel system and ride on.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    myself?
                    I would make a cover for the vent out of tinfoil or an old Gatorade bottle, clean the fuel system and ride on.
                    Good sense, COVER every eVENTuality

Comment

all we gotta do is allow about 2.5 gallons of air an hour to the tankl at or near WOT. that 6 gallon cap aint that round. trust me we have been making vent covers out of cans,plastic bottles and tinfoil for at least the past 25 yrs. a lot of my commercial guys use the 12 or 18 gallon with the same cap.
                      I have one commercial guy that simply keeps an old truck floormat over the tank, hasn't had water down the vent in years.

Comment

Really?!? Ok. But I still have the non-vented cap that came with the tank. I could just put this one back on and then manually vent the tank.

If yall are saying that even that non-vented cap will allow water in, therefore your using tin foil, etc...explain to me how your constructing this please. Cause if your placing tin foil over the threads of cans's inlet then screwing down cap over the foil, wont the threads cut into the foil?

Thanks guys.
                        Jason

Comment

Oh and also, i was told by the guys at westmarine that condensation builds inside the tank. So a small amount of water can always get into the tank. And thats why having an water-fuel separator is recommended. Your thoughts?
                          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                            Oh and also, i was told by the guys at westmarine that condensation builds inside the tank. So a small amount of water can always get into the tank. And thats why having an water-fuel separator is recommended. Your thoughts?
                            One of my thoughts is that West Marine would like to sell you something.

Comment

WM prices are out of control, it pays for all the greetings you get at the door, lol

if the tank is portable why not move it off the boat when washing?

I have under deck tanks, normally I would mock up an electric 12V fuel pump and siphon the gas out into 5 gallon jugs, later to be burned in my truck, if and when I need to do that.
                              protecting the tank is an option as mentioned above.

if you still experience wot issues after this next "cleaning of the tank"
                              you have other issues.

aren`t you supposed to keep the vent open while running?
                              02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                              02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Working...
                              X