Power Trim/Tilt Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Trim/Tilt Motor

Im trying to figure out how manually lift a yamaha motor. I've noticed the screw that needs to be turned in order to manually lift the motor but the flat head screw isn't turning at all. The screw has no signs of corrosion on the outside but I don't know about the inside. I have also seen in the service manuals that there is a spring behind the screw, does this mean that in order to loosen the screw I have to push it in a little bit or is that not the case? Also if this screw is so badly corroded that I won't be able to loosen it what should I do to fix this? Should I drill through the screw or is there another option?

Are you sure you are turning it in the correct direction to loosen it?
    If so, maybe a impact screw driver and hammer to get it moving

Comment

Get a screw drive with a blade that completely fills the slot on the screw. Ideally with a square shank.

Put an adjustable wrench (aka mexican speed wrench) on the shank of the screw driver. Use one hand to turn the wrench while using the other hand to hold the blade in the slot.

Come on. Be a man about it.

Comment

Had to this on a 1995 130 BETO. As boscoe said, big flat blade screwdriver, pair of mole grips and a bit of WD40 and turn anti clockwise.

The one on this unit had never been touched before, but a bit of arm wrestling with it did the trick. Nothing fancy, no pushing. Just leverage required.

Comment

You think I haven't thought of the method of using more leverage to loosen that screw. I've tried exactly what you said with the wrench and large flathead screwdriver to try and loosen that screw. I've also tried counter-clockwise and clockwise and neither worked. The harder I would try the more likely the screw would become stripped. There is a snap ring in front of the screw and I've never dealt with a snap ring before. Can taking out the snap ring help with loosening the screw?

Comment

no removing the snap ring will not help

Comment

A "hand held impact hammer" should loosen that screw without much effort;

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30750-Ha...mpact+Tool+Set

Sears has them, Harbor freight, etc for cheaper yet..

Soaking with a good penetrating oil beforehand wouldn't hurt either...
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-07-2015, 07:29 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any updates??
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X