Power Head Cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Head Cracked

We have a 2010 VF225LA. Less than 200 hours. Purchased used on a Premier 25 pontoon in August last year and used about 50 hours by us without any issues. When it went into the water this year it started fine. But when marina restarted, it wouldn't start. Water in oil pan. Cleaned out, tried again and hydrolocked again. Eventually Yamaha dealer took it apart to find power head was cracked and needed to be replaced. And, said that there was so much corrosion in the cylinders that he could not in good conscience fix just the power head as we would have major problems within the year relating to the corrosion. All in, just over $21,000 to repair. And given that we could get a new motor for not that much more than that, they recommended not repairing. Warranty expired March 2014.

None of the dealers that we have spoken to have ever heard of a power head cracking like this. Has anyone ever heard of this? And any thoughts on corrosion? I have heard that early versions of this engine 2002-2005 had this issue. Trying to decide whether we repair engine or junk it. So far Yamaha's response has been that we are out of luck. That problems such as this are normally caused by inadequate warm up procedures. Which seems odd given how few hours the engine has.

Boat in on Georgian Bay, so fresh water, and used only in spring/summer months.

Any help/thoughts much appreciated.

David

Are you in Canada and is this a Canadian registered Yamaha? Yam Can customer support is all but worthless. Yam USA more than likely would offer some bit of goodwill support I would guess.

Water in the oil causing corrosion to piston rings, cylinder walls, the valve train, etc. is a completely different issue than the exhaust system corrosion issue that has been discussed ad nauseam.

From boats.net you can get a new motor for a lot less than $21,000.00. That is the road that I would take, going new versus a repair. Of course this is US pricing versus Canada pricing.

Personally I would part your motor out and buy new but that is just me. Lots of good stuff on your old motor that some one some where wants.

Yamaha VF250LA Outboard Motor (Four Stroke V Max SHO)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Yes - Canadian. Have only had contact with Yam Can CS. $21000 is $CAN = approx $US 16,000. And not a techie so appreciate the clarification on the corrosion issue.

D

Comment

Yamaha products

Yamaha makes a Lot of good stuff.. Outboard's are not their strong suit !!

Comment

poor winterizeing.

Comment

Originally posted by dnlewis2008 View Post
            said that there was so much corrosion in the cylinders that he could not in good conscience fix just the power head as we would have major problems within the year relating to the corrosion.

David
            They must have been referring to exhaust stack corrosion maybe if replacing power head would not take care of the corrosion he found.
            Strange the OP said corrosion in cylinders not the rest of motor
            Last edited by 99yam40; 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

for years outboards were pretty much self draining.
              some of the V6 4 strokes have small passages in the cyl head and block area that can clog and trap water that then freezes come winter time.

I have replaced a few under warrenty so far.

I now recommend pumping a non toxic A/F solution through them.

Comment

better safe than sorry if living in the cold places where freezing would be a problem.
                What a pain to have to deal with that on some motors

Comment

Working...
                X