F115 died soon after getting wet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 died soon after getting wet

I have a 2005 four stroke F115 that I just rebuilt with a new short block and head from OBR in Alabama. It fired up perfectly and in my haste to run it I re-used the anodes and the one on the starboard side of the crankcase started leaking a small spray of water(fresh water lake) which wasn't terribly concerning to me. I planned to pick up new anodes and seals today when the marinas opened, but about 15min into this run it started missing and eventually died. I cannot get it to restart and it doesn't even sound like it's trying. Could I have fried something in the ignition? It didn't get that wet as it was just a small stream/mist.
    Thanks for suggestions on diagnosis and repair.

A small mist will go everywhere under the cowling and into the air intake. Taking it into the motor itself.
    A motor ingesting water is never good.
    How long did you do this?
    Time to start testing to see what all you find

Comment

The cover was off and the water was spraying mostly on the starboard side of the motor toward the front. I doubt any was brought into the intake. To answer your question, it took me about 10min to get to my destination which is where she died.

Comment

+1^^^.

If you haven't already, leave the cowl off, maybe a fan pointed at the powerhead and get it dry as possible. If you can leave the cover off but covered to keep weather out would help.

Start by pulling the spark plugs and check for any abnormalities. Check for spark at the plugs.

I would unplug any and all connectors remotely affected. Make sure their dry, apply a LITTLE BIT dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

Check all fuses for conductivity.

Re-check for spark...

Please report back what you find..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Now that I've finally had a chance to look at the motor, it appears to be a fuel issue. Do you know if there is a rebuild kit available for the fuel pump? I would suspect the diaphragms are yet another casualty of ethanol.

Comment

How did you determine if has a fuel issue?
            there are lots of filters on a injected motor
            Last edited by 99yam40; 07-12-2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

It fires with a squirt of ether so it must be fuel.
              I'm only familiar with the water/fuel separator filter and it's fine.

Comment

let me think.
                where is the electronics panal located on an F115??
                oh
                its located on the stbd side fwd.

not a good place to spray it with water.
                remember the faster the engine speed the more pressure the cooling system has and a mist at idle can be a spray at speed.
                \
                when you turn the key to on, can you hear the electric fuel pump run ?

Comment

Come to think of it I do not hear the high pressure fuel pump when turning on the key. Is it not beneath the intake manifold? Fuses are all good.

Comment

After fiddling with every connector I could unplug in replug I was able to get the motor running only to have it die when putting the fuse cover back on. I repeated this A couple of times before having to hit the road. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Check any and all wires and their connectors.

Especially going into the ECM. As small as the connectors are, it doesn't take but a small spot of corrosion to cause an issue.

Having the engine running on muffs, then gently checking each wire till the engine dies should narrow it down pretty quick..

With your statement of when you "put the cover on it dies", it sounds like the issue is in that immediate area...
                      Scott

Comment

whadda mean my water pump is bad?????
                        it only overheats at idle.
                        my reply, don't idle.

if if wont run WOT, my reply fix it OR don't run WOT.
                        see how easy this is?

Comment

dang Rod has been drinking something a little stronger than beer.
                          At least that is how I end up there

Comment

Epilogue: had zero to do with water spray. Problem was one of the main grounds I failed to tighten fully in my reassembly.
                            Thanks to all who posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Coreylaker View Post
                              Epilogue: had zero to do with water spray. Problem was one of the main grounds I failed to tighten fully in my reassembly.
                              Thanks to all who posted.
                              Congrates, knew you'd find it...

Was it near that panel or general area?
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X