Installing trim and tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing trim and tilt

I bought a boat with a 1987 90 h.p.. The tilt and trim has been removed. I have bought one second hand in good shape. I need some guidance on installation. is this a job I can do myself? Does the motor have to be removed or just one side of the bracket? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you have everything associated with the trim unit, like the wiring and switches and so on?

Comment

You shouldn't have to remove the engine or brackets.

Just lift the motor and set it up on the manual engine supports.
      Then slip the unit in using the recommended grease, etc..

This link should help;

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ILT/parts.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...RTS/parts.html
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-30-2015, 10:48 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have no idea about that 90, but have read some motors need to have one bracket moved over some to allow T&T unit to come out. So you may need to support motor if taking one side of bracket loose

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
          Do you have everything associated with the trim unit, like the wiring and switches and so on?
          I have the complete unit, everything.

Comment

Has anyone installed a 3 wire power trim unit on a 90 hp. I dont want to pull the motor bracket off unless it is necessary. I got the boat with no trim unit installed, so I have no experience removing the old one. . I have all of the parts and unit ready to go.....just not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Have you got the top pin?
              Should be easy to tell if it fits into space, takes fiddling and it may jam, that is why a bracket may need to be a little loosened.
              Did the engine have a PTT and it was removed (think they all had them)? You would be able to see which edges mate - make sure corresponding PTT surfaces are smooth. You may need power setup first so that rams can be moved to enable fitting (retracted) and connection of tilt ram (extended).
              Tap gently with wood, rubber mallet side to side.

Comment

And watch your head because you will be intimate under the leg and if things don't go smoothly it is easy to get distracted and you need to go up for air or stretch for cramp!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  Have you got the top pin?
                  Should be easy to tell if it fits into space, takes fiddling and it may jam, that is why a bracket may need to be a little loosened.
                  Did the engine have a PTT and it was removed (think they all had them)? You would be able to see which edges mate - make sure corresponding PTT surfaces are smooth. You may need power setup first so that rams can be moved to enable fitting (retracted) and connection of tilt ram (extended).
                  Tap gently with wood, rubber mallet side to side.
                  I have the top pin... it had PTT and it was removed. Does it matter which side of the bracket should be removed or loosened port or starboard? Do I have to take it all the way off of just loosen? Do I have to remove the Teleflex completely from the tube or just loosen nut? Also when routing the wire to the relay... is there an extension wire that I need to purchase or should the cord from the trim motor reach all the way to the relay?

Comment

With most Yamaha's you don't have to remove anything to remove/install a trim and tilt unit. Just raise the motor to the full up position and use the lock to hold it in place. Then simply slide the trim and tilt unit between the two clamp brackets.

The wire harness should be long enough to reach the relay.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      Just raise the motor to the full up position and use the lock to hold it in place. Then simply slide the trim and tilt unit between the two clamp brackets.
                      That's what I typed a month ago, post #3.................
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        That's what I typed a month ago, post #3.................
                        Some times the message is hard to get through.

A guy figures he needs to dismantle a motor, when he does not, and has a hard time understanding that he does not. He is so focused on what he thinks needs to be done he can't comprehend that it does not need to be done.

Comment

As you can see I left my comment with the thought that some motors may need to move a bracket, but not sure on that 90.
                          He just has to try it to see.

Heck the T&T unit on my C40 will not come off due to the lower pin will not move once I removed the nuts. I was just trying to remove to lub and change out the anode. I will wait until I absolutely have to remove it before I start ripping things up and costing even more money due to breaking things.

Comment

OK, just got finished.....Yes the bracket DOES have to be removed or at least slid over about 2" in order to install or remove the trim on this model motor. I was able to support the weight of the motor with an engine stand to do what needed to be done. Thanks

Comment

Good to hear you got it in, hope the unit functions properly for a long time with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X