Grinding 1999 9.9 mshx marine outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding 1999 9.9 mshx marine outboard

I have a 1999 9.9MSHX outboard that people think is a diesel because of the 'grinding' sound it makes. Bought it used 8 years ago and it's always sounded this way. Runs like a top!
    My question. I have been told that the main bearings are going.
    Can I order the upper and lower bearings with all seals, spacers etc and have them replaced without replacing the crankshaft?
    Since it runs fine, I'm assuming my crankshaft/pistons are ok.
    What other issues might be associated with plan for repair?

Older 2 stroke outboards generally make grinding, clicking, etc. noises....since it's running fine maybe just don't worry about it....

Comment

Thanks Mr. Graham. It seems the grinding is getting worse is all. Would rather spend $200.00 for the parts than $600.00 for a new crankshaft. I like to get the concensus of many before making my decisions. Not so easy to row an inflatable. I appreciate your quick response.

Comment

You should open it up to see what all is wrong with it before ordering parts.
        I pulled my C40 apart thinking I had a lower bearing making noise and 3 out of the 4 were bad.
        Had to send the crank off to be redone in NC.
        Not many places do this to the press apart cranks

Comment

Ms. Kitty's Yamaha

Perfect idea. Sometimes I try to put the cart before the horse. Just harder to get parts down here. Thank you!

Comment

Just be aware that on a 15 year old motor that some nuts/bolts/fasteners may be corroded in the threads and break off upon removal...maybe/hopefully not, but it could be a challenge. Heat can be applied or a product called Freeze-off in a can to blow very cold on a fastener to help loosen it....All this especially if your motor was used in salt water....good luck!

Comment

Thanks Mr. Graham. That had crossed my mind. It has been in salt water so will open it up hoping for the best. Have not seen the Freeze-off down here. Have a heat gun and an outdated fire extinguisher, lol, along with various things like PB Blaster, Screw loose, etc that might help. Hope it doesn't turn into a can of worms as these things do. Will post results. Luckily, I have a friends outboard as a loaner. Thanks again.

Comment

I use LP Propane, but it is better to use MAP gas, burns hotter. remember , heat and cool, the more the cycles the better. Don't think the heat gun will get hot enough.

Comment

Working...
                X