Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 F-150LB NMEA 2000 Engine Data Available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 F-150LB NMEA 2000 Engine Data Available?

Can someone here tell me exactly what NMEA 2000 engine operating data is available from the new F150 to a Garmin NMEA 2000 enabled GPS device (GPSMAP 536s)?

I have a NMEA 2000 network installed and my GPS is connected and receiving some engine operating data via a Lowrance-Yamaha data cable.

I just want to make sure that I am displaying all available data.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 05-28-2015, 09:45 PM.

tach
    fuel flow rate
    volts
    oil pressure
    intake pressure (Garmin may call "Boost")
    trim if sender installed & cowling wires mated
    water pressure if optional sender installed
    engine temp - maybe
    hours - maybe

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      tach
      fuel flow rate
      volts
      oil pressure
      intake pressure (Garmin may call "Boost")
      trim if sender installed & cowling wires mated
      water pressure if optional sender installed
      engine temp - maybe
      hours - maybe
      I am getting all of the above. What is "Boost" (intake pressure)?

Are there any hacks available that allow access to additional engine data?

Thanks.
      Last edited by Motorhead; 05-29-2015, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Not completely sure but sounds like turbo charged or super charged motor boost maybe

Comment

on a turbo engine (are there any turbo outboards?) it is of interest, it reflects the additional air pressure the turbo is providing.

The Garmin engineers provided for that information to be displayed.

On your Yam, its the barometric reading in the engine intake (I think - Mr. Rodbolt could explain it)

its a puzzler to me why the Yam engineers have the ECM broadcast it

Apparently the NMEA identifier is the same, so that's what the Garmin shows.

Comment

To make a short story long -

Intake pressure (more correctly known as intake manifold pressure and abbreviated as MAP) is the pressure of the air within the intake manifold. It is measured in absolute terms so when the engine is not running it will be approximately 14.7 psi, 29.92" Hg, 1013 millibars, etc., etc..

In a normally aspirated motor (no supercharger) when the motor is running the manifold pressure will be less than normal atmospheric air pressure. It can never be higher.

In a supercharged engine the manifold pressure can be lower or higher than normal. If and when the manifold pressure is higher than the normal atmospheric pressure it is referred to as "boost" pressure. Think of the supercharger as having "boosted" the air pressure. Kinda stupid really. Pressure is pressure is pressure. Could be 12" Hg or could be 50" Hg. Just call it what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorhead View Post

Are there any hacks available that allow access to additional engine data?

Thanks.
              Interesting point.

We can only see what NMEA data the ECM is sending, it can only send "what it knows".

Thanks to the Garmin engineers, we know it sends its MAP value. Is it also sending other values of its inputs and outputs?

There is software available for purchase, and the appropriate interface device, to connect to a PC, to "read" the full NMEA 2000 data stream

I have some curiousity about it - but I'm not that curious.

We do know Yam programmed it to send certain additional data, if it is provided with it: the trim value, the water pressure - I think there are additional optional sensors.

Comment

And of course if you want more engine data, buy yourself the "YDS" software/cable from eBay.

There's a poster on here who apparently travels around the Caribbean in a Center Console with his laptop permanently connected to the engines.

oh, but you have a new motor - I think the public can't get their hands on the software version required...

Comment

Working...
                X