50tlrc problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50tlrc problems

I own several Yamahas- 2 stroke and 4 stoke. I do all my own maintenance and service, and after 28 years of working on mine and others Yami's, I am stumped with this one.
    2003 50TLRC on an NV 16 flats boat. Bought the boat and it sat for a while before I got the motor. Was having issues with the carbs from the get go, so I took them all apart, thoroughly cleaned them and reassembled with new gaskets, etc. Still having issues- stalling, hard to start, not reaching max RPM.
    Those issues aside, what worries me now are these problems: running the motor in neutral in a barrel of water, the pee stream is hot- like 120 deg. hot. This after less than a minute of running. There is a squeak, a chirp intermittently, and it sounds like it it coming from the crank or piston area.
    Quick comp test- 90 lbs all 3, holds comp. t-stat- clean and opens in water on the stove. Prime start lever is in the normal position. Fuel filters clean, fuel pump works, oil system works. Spark plugs are new, gapped to 1mm, and are oily after 10 minutes of running.
    Why is it getting so hot so quick?
    What is the intermittent squeak?

Why does it bog down and die on full throttle?

did you change the water pump?
    how does the housing look?
    did you check to see what temperature the stat opened and closed at?

lean sneeze will cause a chirp.
    Have you checked on the fuel pump?

Comment

that chirp is a lean sneeze.
      do the carbs again this time carefully clean/replace ALL fuel lines and the pump.

check the water pump and T stat.

Comment

Water pump looked good- I replaced the impeller, wear plate and ss cup when I first got the motor and it hasn't run more than an hour since.t-stat opened at 140 or so. The chirp or squeal sure sounds like metal on metal- like a bearing or something else. I am familiar with lean sneeze and this sound is scary!

Comment

Bearing locking up from what you are describing maybe

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Bearing locking up from what you are describing maybe
            Yes, squeak and chirp and not reaching full power, investigate bearing.

Comment

Working...
            X