Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.

Dear friends,
    I don't have experience in mounting steering cables so Iam stacked...
    Motor is Selva 25HP 4T(Yamaha corporation), teleflex mechanical steering box and steering cable, universal adjustable rod.
    The main confusing problem is when I turn engine fully to the left and my telescopic arm is completely in I can adjust steering rod, but when I turn the steering wheel to the other side and my telescopic arm is fully out my motor is just little bit on right side. Arm should go at least 5-6 cm more to turn the motor on right side.
    I can't figure it out where is the problem and how to fix it.
    Steering cable is newer used before.
    Thanks,

I think of two possible things:
    the rod was bent slightly at installation and gets stuck. Easily done.
    Or, your steering link from the engine to the end of the rod on cable is of incorrect length (too short?)

Comment

Omg

There is no left on a boat !!! Its starboard or port !! Fact of life !!...PS,,,btw that's normal,,one side will always have more travel/movement than the other !! no worrys..
      Last edited by bajakeith; 05-22-2015, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
        There is no left on a boat !!! Its starboard or port !! Fact of life !!...PS,,,btw that's normal,,one side will always have more travel/movement than the other !! no worrys..
        About Port and starboard, boat maybe, but surely the engine is not compelled to abide by this protocol all the time (it has a left and right side - look at parts lists). Same for other things too.

Comment

senka1972, if rod seems right then try moving it to a more inner hole (towards engine) on the steering tongue. This will give you more range or greater angle of steerage. But this will affect both sides. It will also give you more response to wheel input, try to achieve engine just hitting it's stops is the aim.

Comment

Mr.

Friends,
            Maybe it will be stupid question, but I have to ask...with steering wheel is it possible to make motor move like without? I meant to say that with handle you can turn the motor till the end on both sides, should I expect the same with steering wheel or it will be less?
            Thanks,

Comment

You mean use a tiller. There might be conversion available. But this involves probably more work than getting your setup fixed.
              It should be possible to get your engine to swing completely and evenly from stop to stop.
              As mentioned earlier, the rod is not the right length, and you engine should have provision of a choice of holes to mount this rod.
              If it is already as close towards the centre then you will have to engineer something. But get it done properly, even if it just means drilling and threading a closer hole.
              It's just geometry between the three parts you need to get right to get full str
              Starboard and port movement.

Comment

If the cable does not have enough stroke to move the motor all the way from stop to stop then split the difference and have equal turning on both sides or get all you can out of one side and then know which way to turn if wanting a sharper turn and go fishing

Comment

Working...
                X