Yamaha F150 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F150 Question

So Saturday we left the fishing hole heading in. My buddy was driving and said the speedometer on the command link gauges wasn't working. I said don't worry about it, it probably has grass or something on it. Ran at 3800 for about 1/2hr - 45 min. seas calmed a bit and I told him to pick it up a bit. Within a minute after we got to about 4200 the starboard engine starts to bog down and shake, also a very short beep. pulled throttles back. It continued to shake like a fuel issue.

Shut it off and removed the filter on the front of the engine. Poured the contents into a white bucket and there were 3 small piece of trash. Replaced the filter pumped ball and off we went. I noticed that now the speedo was working. Ran another 25 or so miles without incident. I did run about a mile at full throttle once we were close to the dock.

Yesterday I removed the fuel water filter, poured contents into a quart glass jar. (Clean as gas should be) No Contaminates what so ever. Let it sit overnight. No separation No Contaminates

hooked up to YDS and only a shift position sensor code. I think he tried to restart it with it in gear.

Both engines are fed from the same tank.

So based on the information provided what you think happened. I believe it overheated. I think something was over the speedo pickup and maybe covering one side of the water inlet.

you betcha, I will check next time !

You mean you conclude overheating, by stopping made the thing obstructing drop off, very possible.
    I think your point is investigate immediately if one speedo stops reading, absolutely.
    The rubbish in the fuel didn't obstruct the fuel flow enough to cause starving did it? I also assume that the filter supplies both engines, which would make obstruction of cooling to one engine more plausible, because the other engine ran OK.

Comment

Just thought, are you using one engine for the speedo? If so, if the other engine had the obstruction you would not have any indication. Coincidental that it was the same engine?
      And if you utilised both engines with a Y junction to one speedo then you would not have noticed if it happened to either engine. Hmmm.
      Food for thought (notwithstanding that something else happened that had nothing to do with the speedo issue - others may post in).
      Guages are there to help to detect something wrong, and I would try to use all guauges including speedo to see if it is telling me also trouble somewhere.

Comment

ever think to look at the gauges to see what they said when problem showed up?

I think you should be able to see if an over heat happened with the laptop, but I have been wrong before

Comment

I think it is coincidence that it was the speedo engine. the beep was very short 1sec beep. I did not think overheat immediately. I thought fuel issue.

other than alarm what would the engine do if overheat while running? Shake (run rough) and bog down? before checking fuel filter I tried to run it up again. It was acting like starving for fuel.

Comment

So if you go with the fuel route, the engine may have detected "starvation" or overheat for that matter and put it into limp mode? The other engine may have assisted the bad engine to continue running at higher speed by feedback on thrust by pushing of water through prop. i.e. could you tell? in any case the engine system would have saved any damage one hopes. More knowledge about the system on this engine is required to cover all possibilities to rule out further investigation.

Comment

depending on the year model it may or may not have a water in the fuel detect.
              however the alarm only works in N.

if it overheated you would have seen a flashing check engine on the gauge and a stored code for when it overheated.

the F150 cannot and does not monitor fuel pressures.

Comment

They are 07's. What if any action should I take at this point.

Comment

On my 06 150, I had marine fuel line, from the transom mounted fuel water separator insides break down.

There was nothing inside the transom filter when checked but debris in the under cowl Yamaha filter.

By reason of deduction, that short piece of fuel line (from the filter to the engine) was checked and the innerds were literally coming apart.

This was fairly new Mercury line installed when I (the shop) re-powered the boat.

I could literally pull the inner "coating" and it came out in pieces like mush.

I'm sure it would have slowed fuel flow however I happened to find this just doing maintainance, I wasn't on the water and NEVER had the engine act up..

I would check that line(s).

If you don't have a 10 micron filter, I would invest in one..

I would also drain the VST and catch what comes out in a clean container (I use a tuna fish can) and inspect.

A couple of pumps of the primer bulb won't hurt.

I have in the past, physically blew back into that drain line causing bubbling inside the VST just to get any crap out W/O pulling it apart. Worked great..

Good luck and please post what you find..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                  X