2004 115 2 stroke overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 115 2 stroke overheating

Fired up my 115TLRC in the yard, first time this season. Earphones on the intake and village water flowing. Water coming from exit port. 3 mins in and overheat alarm screaming at me. Shut down and came here. Never had an impeller replacement. 10 years of no fail operation. Suggestions ?????? THANKS!!!!

Well now would be a good time to replace the water pump.
    Engine has two thermostats atop each cylinder head,pull them and test opening at temperature marked on thermostat.
    engine also has a pcv - this is hidden just under the cdi (has hose coming out of stb side ).

all of that stuff should be maintained periodically.

Personally I would first back the thing in the tide to verify that it is not a piss poor water supply that maybe your problem.
    Last edited by greasyshaft; 05-18-2015, 06:14 AM.

Comment

With 10 years on the water pump , I would start there. I change mine every year

Comment

Sequoiha has it right !!

one of the biggest issue's I sea... 2 years at the best of times and sitting get a "set" but will run fine on a hose with 35/45 psi off the house pressure. but asking it to suck water on its own,,,thats a whole nother story...starting each season with fresh fuel and a new impeller is a NO brainer...IMO

Comment

I am having trouble posting so brief:
          No complaint about wisdom of changing impellor.
          I have a 12 year old 115 used impellor which only shows permanent distorsion.
          I showed it to a mate who is anal about annual replacement. He has witnessed my use of this engine all this time and thought I was having him on. He saw no cracking and indeed all the twisting and flexing showed no evidence that it would disintegrate.
          Note I am anal about not letting the engine grind on the bottom, prompt use of the up trim button.

Comment

Check impeller if there are pieces missing the cooling system will need to be cleaned out completely. It is recommended to changed every year not that it will go bad in that time but better to be safe then stuck on the lake. thermostats will need replaced also

Comment

cheap insurance not to ruin a fishing trip
              Do the maintenance Yamaha recommends

plus to keep bolts and shafts from sticking ,you need to pull them and grease anyway

Comment

Working...
              X