2006 Yamaha 115 over heated, now wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Yamaha 115 over heated, now wont start

Hi I was running my yamaha 115 using a garden hose, the sleeve on the hose was not covering both intakes so the motor over heated. I herd the engine start to stall, ran and turned it off. I waited a while and tried to start it, nothing, I here a click sound when I turn the key on but the starter does not try to engage. I checked all the fuses I could find but nothing I jumped the battery to make sure I had enough power.

sounds like you have seized the engine,(hopefully not)take out the spark plugs and try and turning the engine over from the flywheel by hand or using a spanner on the centre nut.Might try spraying some oil in the bores too .
    Last edited by cobb3333; 05-10-2015, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Depending on how hot it got, its possible the water pump melted and seized up the main drive shaft (seizing everything else too).

I would be pulling the WP in any case at least to check it and / or, if necessary replace with a WP kit. Possible the WP housing as well (not included in the kit)

As posted above, try turning the flywheel by hand with the spark plugs out. If it still won't move, drop the lower unit.

Was the engine idleing when it was running or a high idle or ?

Please post back what you find, good luck..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any updates???
        Scott

Comment

Overheated

Thanks for the info, haven't had time to do anything yet. Before I posted the other day I did put a cord around the fly wheel and was able to turn the wheel. I wasn't able to get the motor to start, but I was able to turn the wheel with some effort. It felt like I could feel the cylinders move. What I don't understand is why the starter wont at least try to engage the fly wheel. I would think that if the engine was seized the the gear that drives the fly wheel would still move up to try and engage the fly wheel. When I turn the key I hear a click sound somewhere on the left side of the engine but the gear that turns the fly wheel does not move up into position.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

That clicking is likely the starter relay. The internal coil is functioning (the clicking) but the contacts inside are crappy and NOT allowing 12 volts to go to the starter.

Mine failed, exact same thing. I suspect its just a coincidence.

You can bypass the starter relay to confirm its faulty.

Find the relay, it'll have a fairly heavy wire going to it, and another coming out of it to the starter. Put a jumper wire (be careful) between the two terminals. The starter should engauge and turn the engine over.

Here's a pic of the bad contact in my relay after I tore it apart;

Scott

Comment

Any updates?
              Scott

Comment

Overheated

Thanks for help. I checked out the starter and solenoid. They were both good. i had my son hit the starter and I went around trying to id what was making the click sound. I held a wiring connector and when did the engine turned over.Now the engine starts and runs. I haven't run the engine for any length of time yet but it does run fine. Thans for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by douglaswx View Post
                  Thanks for help. I checked out the starter and solenoid. They were both good. i had my son hit the starter and I went around trying to id what was making the click sound. I held a wiring connector and when did the engine turned over.Now the engine starts and runs. I haven't run the engine for any length of time yet but it does run fine. Thans for the help.
                  No problem and congrates for the headway.

However, I wouldn't leave it as is. Nothings been fixed.

Check the wires going into the connector, disconnect the connector too. Look for any corrosion(usually green). Obviously clean and apply dilectric grease to prevent further corrosion. Any ground wires nearby(actually, all of them), disconnect and clean, dilectric grease again..
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X