Oil Leak from the Oil Level Sensor 1987 V6 EXCEL XH 225 HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak from the Oil Level Sensor 1987 V6 EXCEL XH 225 HP

I have a 1987 V6 EXCEL XH 225HP outboard mounted to a 22 Grady White Serial #701041.

Everything runs fine and has been reliable for me. However, I have an oil leak each time I take the boat out of the water and the motor is tilted up. The leak appears to be coming from between the seal of the oil level sensor and the main oil tank. The oil collects in the base and I have to sop it up before using it next. If not, it seeps down the outside of the lower unit and goes in to the water. Not a good thing...anyway, I thought I could purchase a new oil level sensor which would improve the seal and fix the problem. HOWEVER, all the parts suppliers I searched show the part (6G7-85730-01-00) as "not available."

Does anyone know of a replacement part and/or have any suggestion how to improve the seal?

The replacement part is a new sensor assembly. Apparently the rubber over time has lost its grip on the oil tank.

You can try putting a zip tie around the rubber seal, lightly tightened, and see if that will solve the problem. Try the inline type that have the interlocking piece designed to fit more snugly around a round object.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. I attempted the zip tie fix last fall, but will try to other type you mentioned. I couldn't locate a part number for the sensor assembly you mentioned. Any chance you have access to that information? or possibly point me in the right direction? Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by ericyamaha View Post
        Thank you so much for your reply. I attempted the zip tie fix last fall, but will try to other type you mentioned. Why didn't you tell us that? I couldn't locate a part number for the sensor assembly you mentioned. Any chance you have access to that information? or possibly point me in the right direction? Thanks again!
        The sensor is right where it is supposed to be. In the parts catalog.

Item 27 in this illustration.
        1987 225H_EXCEL Yamaha Outboard OIL TANK Diagram and Parts

Comment

Sadly, this is my dilemma...the part number labeled "27" on the drawing is the part that is "NOT AVAILABLE" any where that I have searched. Do you have any other source for this part or another alternative?

Comment

punch that part # into you search engine and see what all it comes up with.

Simyamaha has shown updated #s for me before, you could try them

Comment

Quit using the internet searching for parts and call your local dealer. He should be able to tell you that the -01-00 was replaced by the -02-00. And that the -02-00 was replaced by the -05-00 and that Yamaha has them in stock.

With the inner web and email no one wants to talk to anyone any more. It is our loss.

Boat Parts: 6G7-85730-02-00

Comment

Working...
              X