Not water out of pilot hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not water out of pilot hole

I replace impeller at water pump, start engine(F225 TURB) but there is not water out of pilot hole; connect house water hose directly to external hose on engine and there is water every discharge holes.
    Can be lock thermostat? Please help.
    Test done with lower unit submerged in water
    Last edited by EZ-A/C-MIAMI; 02-09-2015, 09:14 AM.

and that's why I wont use the rabbit ears on the older F225/200.

unless you have some serious good water pressure they will typically not have a tell tale and will typically overheat.
    I normally run them,at idle ONLY, on the built in flush device.

if I have to do any extended running,decarbing and such.
    I use BOTH the rabbit ears AND the onboard device.
    always use full water pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-A/C-MIAMI View Post

I replace impeller at water pump, start engine(F225 TURB) but there is not water out of pilot hole; connect house water hose directly to external hose on engine and there is water every discharge holes.

maybe you are referring to the drain holes on lower unit.
      If so you might look to make sure your water pipe from water pump is in proper position on water pump and the tube does not have a hole in it.

I do not think a stuck stat would have anything to do with that water flow

Comment

Unless you simulate the motor being in the water (lower unit is placed in a barrel with water that is several inches above the lower unit to mid-section attach point) all bets are off with respect to water flow and/or engine cooling.

This is like saying that I can rev my motor in gear to 6000 RPM out of the water but when it is in the water I can't get full RPM.

Unless the tests simulate real world conditions the tests are meaningless.

I don't think that you have a problem. Do you want to have one?

Comment

dunno why but most F200/225 and F150 motors will over heat on the flush muffs.
          My personal F150 will do it at the shop or at the house on the muffs.
          works fine on the flush port.
          over the years Yamaha has flip flopped on running not running on the flush port.
          experience has taught us that for idle speeds only and 10 min or less run times it wont hurt anything running on the flush port.

Comment

By the 2003 Yamaha owners manual, it says to use built in flushing device with the engine off. I think 99YAM40 is correct. Recheck water tube. Muffs are fine with enough water pressure, but it does take 15-20 seconds before it appears at discharge. With muffs or in the water you know you're getting water to impellor to lubricate and cool it. Use dual feed muffs and make sure they are 100% on intake holes. With the built in device and the tube isn't in waterpump you're running the impellor dry! Not good.
            Last edited by donsmarine; 02-08-2015, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Like "boscoe99" mentioned, test was done with lower unit submerged in a barrel with water, water level well above water intake; only very poor water flow out of water discharge holes at lower unit, not water at pilot hole.
              Is okay to have water hose also connected to flush hose at engine with engine running?
              Thanks every body for your help.

Comment

EZ, read your original post. You don't mention where you ran in barrel. Maybe you should correct that before people try to help you.

Comment

New pump repair kit had been order.
                  Thanks

Comment

Just to make sure you know the water pump housing does not come with the kit, if you were thinking it did.
                    It is always a good idea to inspect the housing ,cup, and wear plate for wear, grooves, and melting.

Did you see any of this and that is why you ordered the kit?
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 02-08-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Actually I order the housing & "O" rings, rest of parts I have from previous order, Housing has water discharge outlet melt.
                      Thanks.

Comment

When you took the old impeller out, was it intact? Meaning, was it "whole" with no pieces missing?
                        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Actually I order the housing & "O" rings, rest of parts I have from previous order, Housing has water discharge outlet melt.
                          Thanks.
                          I always replace all of the parts that come in a kit

Of course I run in shallow water and the cup and wear plate are grooved every time I look

Comment

yes, impeller was intact, all parts on it.

Comment

What 99YAM40 is asking, though, is did you also replace the WEAR PLATES. A little groove in the cup/plate is all it takes for the impeller not to function efficiently .

Something was obviously going on BEFORE you replaced things, as evidenced by the melted pipe.

Are there any blockages in the water pickup of the lower unit?

I would take the lower unit back off and inspect everything VERY closely. You need to be sure everything there is 100% before going anywhere else. Maybe the water pipe is not aligned.
                              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                              X