Difficulty removing lower end from Yamaha 15 Enduro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    This is why I won't let a mechanic touch my motor if there is any way at all that I can avoid it.

One, they apparently don't add a dab of grease on the drive shaft splines (but then Yamaha does not bother to add grease to the drive shaft support bushing either so maybe the mechanics are following Yams lead).

Then they beat the hell out of the motor getting it apart. Oh well.
    Why would anyone assemble Any kind of splined shaft Without grease?...seems just common sense to me!....

Comment

I've heard, but never tried, that running in neutral slowly with all the bolts loosened alot, to the point where it might wiggle, might do it. Use a hose with muffs and make sure the water tube is still in impellor housing. Take prop off.

Comment

over the years I have made pullers to remove shaft stubs from cranks on yamahas,zukis,hondas OMC's and a few others.
        don't grease them
        place in the salt pond.
        watch them stick.
        last one I did was an F225.
        had 500 hours on it when the customer decided it was time for a water pump.
        after carefully sawzalling the shaft just below the power head and removing the powerhead I drilled and tapped the shaft and made a stud and puller and withdrew the stub from the crank.

kinda like cutting props of a DP-E style Volvo.
        usually after the FIRST time the customer will understand that 5 bucks worth of grease will save about 900 dollars.

maint
        pay now or pay later.
        no worries

Comment

Working...
        X