2014 F250 Makes a whining sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 F250 Makes a whining sound

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone who owns and F250 or been around them a fair bit. I have a brand new F250. I just spent my first hour on the water with it yesterday on a test drive with the mechanic to go over a couple of things. However I noticed a whining sound from the motor at top speeds. The mech said he thought that it was normal for this motor but I am skeptical. I have a 2006 F150 that has never made such a sound, ever.
    With the new motor I did not notice it in the beginning (first 30 mins) as I was going to a max of 25 mph. I decided to open it up a bit as I was curious how fast the new motor would go. At approx. 40 mph I started to hear a bit of a higher pitch whining sound above the normal throaty sound of the motor. at 50 mph it was definetly there as it was louder. at first I thought it might have been an electronic alarm going off (similar in sound to a low oil alarm) But it was definitely coming form the motor. As I backed off the throttle the sound gets quieter till it disappears.
    To me this is not normal nor if I was designing a motor would I want the whining sound.
    Mech says their is nothing wrong and that's how they sound.
    I don't have anything to base this on as the motor is brand spanking new and only has 1 hour on it?
    Anybody have an F250? and if so does your motor change sound or wine at the higher speeds?
    thanks Paul

at higher speeds the cams (intake) advance and yes the engine sound changes.
    not supposed to do WOT runs just yet.
    the ONLY thing the F150 and the F250 share is paint code.
    two different animals.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      at higher speeds the cams (intake) advance and yes the engine sound changes.
      Does that engine typicaly have an increasing, noticable whining sound when increasing RPM's?

It must be pretty loud if the OP can hear it at speed with wind noise, etc..

And for the OP, your RPM's CAN be checked/documented via computer by a tech. Running it way above the recommended range BEFORE its due, your likely gambling with Yamaha backing up your warranty..

Besides that, for longevity, I would break it in per the manual... It doesn't take that long to do..
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-16-2014, 08:56 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the quick feed back. The mech that was with me did not offer any reasoning for the sound and you have. With motor/boat being brand new I had nothing to compare it to. Much appreciated, I guess I have nothing to worry about

Comment

Working...
        X