No announcement yet.

Non Ethanol Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ethanol is cheaper so they won't make as much selling pure gas......unless crude drops further.

Comment

Guys,
      back to the basic question. Both the ring free and the fuel stabilizer/conditioner (made by Yamalube) include additives to deal with ethanol in the gasoline. I am now using non ethanol fuel. I kind of lean toward the use of ring free only as I think the ring free includes a small amounts of fuel stabilizers as well.
      Anyone with any experience using 90 octane gas? better, worse, or indifferent with Yamaha motors?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Toulla View Post
        Guys,
        back to the basic question. Both the ring free and the fuel stabilizer/conditioner (made by Yamalube) include additives to deal with ethanol in the gasoline. I am now using non ethanol fuel. I kind of lean toward the use of ring free only as I think the ring free includes a small amounts of fuel stabilizers as well.
        Anyone with any experience using 90 octane gas? better, worse, or indifferent with Yamaha motors?

Thanks
        Reading directly from the Yamaha Ringfree bottle (item 3073 in the rt lower corner), it does NOT specifically address being a fuel stabilizer. It is for E10 fuels.

It DOES state it CAN be used with Yamaha fuel stabilizer (which to me, tells me its NOT A stabilizer).

If there's a NEWER Ringfree that states its STABILIZER too, that should be fine... (my bottle is probably 6 months old).

I run Marina non-ethonol fuel (its 89 or 90 octane I believe((might be 91)) with Ring Free and a separate stabilizer. Between that fuel, RingFree and K100(a stabilizer), my F150 runs like a top (and the fuel is getting up there in age).

For the relativley small amount its costs to run a stabilizer, vs fuel going stale, (varnishing up the system, problems down the road, repairs), IMO, its a no brainer, just run it for insurance. "Gas Shok" is relativly in-expensive and mixes at 1oz/ 10 gallons. And it does work very well...

I know Rodbolt runs Ringfree and Stabil exclusivly on his F150. I don't care for Stabil(some personal bad experiances with it), however ditching the stabilizer IMO is not a good idea...

Just my 2 cents..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-12-2014, 11:30 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
          ..unless crude drops further.
          And it IS indeed dropping!!! Never thought I'd see it...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I bought my boat used a year ago. With no idea of how long the gas in the tank had been sitting in there, I pumped out the contents into 6, 6 gallon cans and took it to the local transfer station where they accept such materials.

At the time, there were no stations in my area with non-ethanol, so, I started out by pumping 25 gallons of fresh E10 into my empty tank. I also added 1/2 gallon of oil, an 8oz container of Marine Stabil and a 16 oz can of SeaFoam. I used the boat pretty regularly until April and each time I fueled up, I went with 25 gallons and the same mixture of additives.

In April, life got in the way and I wasn't able to use the boat at all for months. I started the engine every couple of weeks and let it run for 15 min or so just to keep the carbs clear. More time went by...

Then, yesterday, I finally was able to get the boat to the ramp to spend a few hours on the water. I was concerned about the age of the gas and how much water the ethanol may have absorbed. So concerned was I that I purchased a carry-on 6 gallon fuel tank and filled it with a fresh gas/oil mixture and brought it just in case.

Got the boat out on the water and all of my fears were erased. It ran fine - for hours.

I don't know it it was the additives that saved it or that the gas wasn't that old in the scheme of things, but she ran like I had been taking her out regularly.

That said, since April, a new mega-gas station was built near my house. It features non-ethanol at every pump and the price isn't that much more than E10. All my future fuel purchases for the boat will be non-ethanol for peace of mind.

FWIW, the motor is a 1999 150 2-stroke.

Comment

Working...
            X