Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Ethanol Gas

Boy, Oh Boy! Am I happy!!!
    Today I discovered that the new home for the boat and my trusted 2001 Yami F25 ELHZ, a marina in Florida only sells Non Ethanol 90 octane gasoline. Since I got the engine new, I have been using ring free religiously, along with a a fuel stabilizer,draining the carb during storage, cleaning my tank and changing the fuel line every 4 to 5 years. A mini Yamaha water separator is in action as well. What to do now that the yami will be fed non ethanol fuel? Should I keep on my proven protocol or do away with the ring free and the fuel stabilizer? or shall I just drop the stabilizer and use only the ring free, or shall I go back to the OOOld day when none of that staff was required? Just when I though I had things figured out.....

Just keep doing what you're doing....even non-ethanol fuel will degrade...

Comment

+100% ^^^^ Stabilizer and Ringfree..

BTW, most, if not all marina's won't sell ethonol fuel
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Wish that were true around here in Maryland. Only a few non-ethanol and they are on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
          Wish that were true around here in Maryland. Only a few non-ethanol and they are on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay.
          The marina's sell ethonol fuel over there??

BTW, I tried filling my motorcycle with the marina, Non-ethonol fuel and they wouldn't let me.

This was because on no road taxes on it.

You can fill a carry can, no problem...
          Scott

Comment

Pure Gas app.

I have an app on my Android phone called Pure Gas that shows places near wherever my phone is that sell ethanol free gas. It works too. I use the closest store that looks like they sell the most ethanol free gas. The store between my house and the lake access has someone at that pump often. Mostly older cars and boats.

Comment

I was happy to discover that a new mega-gas station near my house has non-ethanol at every pump. A little more expensive than the corn-infused kind, but much less than the price at the dock.

Comment

I've been running the 10% ethanol fuel in my C90 Yamaha for many years without any problems at all, but I do use the Ringfree, Stabil, fuel/water separator and drain the carbs between uses....Do you ever wonder how many outboard issues and problems have been blamed on ethanol that were really caused by other things, like lack of maintenance of fuel/fuel system??.....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                  I've been running the 10% ethanol fuel in my C90 Yamaha for many years without any problems at all, but I do use the Ringfree, Stabil, fuel/water separator and drain the carbs between uses....Do you ever wonder how many outboard issues and problems have been blamed on ethanol that were really caused by other things, like lack of maintenance of fuel/fuel system??.....
                  I had one issue I attribute to ethonol fuel, however it is odd. When I repowered in 07 to the Yamaha, I had them replace all the fuel lines from the transom mounted water fuel separator. The used Mercury marine fuel line from the separator to the engine (fuel connector).

While doing routine maintainance, I found a bunch of crap in the under cowl yamha fuel filter(got past the separator). A little digging and I found that crap to be the actual INSIDES of that short Mercury hose. That inner liner was literally falling apart. Cleaned the Yamaha filter, pulled that hose off and I could actually pluck the rest of the inside of the fuel line out. Now this is marine grade fuel line.

Perhaps it wasn't rated for ethonol (brand new line (but the place I had it done, I wouldn't go back)

I think besides the marina's, we have two non ethonol fuel stations in the entire county, the closest 20+ miles away. ..

Needless to say, I'll gladly pay the extra $ for non-ethonol fuel.

In the long run, its much cheaper, no fuel issues anymore, engine runs great.

I run for additives ONLY RingFree and K100. Between the non-ethonol fuel and K100, what moisture I had in my built in 50 gallon tank is gone(never pulled, never emptied, inside filter never pulled/cleaned).

I can drain the VST, the fuel looks brand new and smells brand new. Its the original VST filter, injectors (never pulled), all stock (short of some replaced fuel filters) in there as well.

IMO, its a no brainer.
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-15-2014, 09:09 AM.
                  Scott

Comment

Maybe it was the inferior Mercury fuel hose?....I'm totally confident that ethanol spiked gasoline is capable of deteriorating some hoses/parts of some marine fuel systems, but I've experienced none of these in my 15 year old Yamaha with all original hoses, gaskets, O-rings, etc...so maybe a difference in rubber compounds among outboard manufacturers???

Comment

Maybe it was the inferior Mercury fuel hose?....I'm totally confident that ethanol spiked gasoline is capable of deteriorating some hoses/parts of some marine fuel systems, but I've experienced none of these in my 15 year old Yamaha with all original hoses, gaskets, O-rings, etc...so maybe a difference in rubber compounds among outboard manufacturers???
                      I'm not a Mercury guy and wasn't real happy about it but it was a short piece of hose, that shouldn't be an issue.. It definitly was, never seen anything like that previously (on a hose that size, marine grade((5/16" or 3/8")).

Heck it could have been new old stock they put on there that obviously wasn't designed to handle ethonol...

As a side note, I work on engines (small yard machines, motorcycles, carb cleaning, etc) often (with a small client base).

Probably 85%-100% of gas powered weedeaters/trimmers, etc, I repair (with the see thru line) and clear primer bulbs are rotted away. The clear primer bulb is usually VERY YELLOW/dark brown, if even intact,- all ethonol related...

I buy the bulbs in large quantities and 25' rolls of "Oregon fuel line", good for up to 15% ethonol. That last much longer than OEM.

I also strongy recommend to empty the fuel tanks when done and run them dry. No fuel on or in the lines and they last much longer, same with the primer bulbs...

IMO, ethonol is the biggest scam (short of the government) and causes way more problems than its worth...
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-15-2014, 08:53 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

Maybe/hopefully with the price of crude oil/gasoline coming down it will make the ethanol less financially attractive and more return to straight gasoline....we'll see if that happens.....

Comment

IMHO recreational boaters must consider the effects of 100% ethanol. Ethanol's affinity for water is great enough to pull humidity from air. As I understand, this can lead to separation and over a season of storage a puddle of alcohol surrounding the pick-up. I've read threads singing praises of E15 rated fuel line updated a year later with pictues of the installed product completely disintegrated. I'm late ordering my replacement of that same hose. I remove all fuel before putting the boat away.

Comment

Maybe/hopefully with the price of crude oil/gasoline coming down it will make the ethanol less financially attractive and more return to straight gasoline....we'll see if that happens.....
                            Would be nice but not likely. We would all get better MPG....the oil companies wouldn't want that.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
                              Would be nice but not likely. We would all get better MPG....the oil companies wouldn't want that.
                              But the ethanol comes from corn....seems like the oil companies would like to get shed of the ethanol so they sell more oil-based gasoline?....

Comment

Working...
                              X