No announcement yet.

Water pump pipe - Broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried for hours to get that little piece of pipe out. The corrosion has a death grip on it. It's just not going to happen. So much for shortcuts.

So a few questions about removing the midsection/upper case -

Will the upper case need to be removed from the bracket? If so, does the entire shift rod assembly need to be removed, or just the shift rod? Will the oil pump need to be disassembled, or simply removed?

I've never pulled a powerhead or disassembled a midsection on an outboard before. I'm confident in my abilities, but this is all new. Am I in over my head?

Comment

I haven't done it either but as I re-call from the other thread, (and others please correct), the Op sounded about the same as you mechanic wise knowledgable. Without any broken bolts, he did it in a day...

I believe, the powerhead comes off(bracket and mid-section ((that turns)) stays attached to the hull. Oil pump stays on the engine. Once the powerhead was off, not sure from there, but that, as I re-call, was the worst part of it..

Hope that helps, I'd wait until Greasy, Rodbolt or Boscoe chime in..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Well, looks like I gave up 5 minutes too early on Sunday. Determined not to let this little pipe whoop me, I went out to the boat tonight and tried again. I shoved my ridiculously long harbor freight flat blade screwdriver into the edge of the pipe, bent it up a little more, dug out a little more of what was left of the grommet, and the pipe literally just fell out. I put the new pipe in, put the hose on it, and now water squirts out of the telltale again. Success!

I'll need to order a new grommet before I put it back together, and I don't want to be too optimistic, but I'm thinking I'll have this fixed when it comes in.
        Last edited by MarshMarlowe; 11-03-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

yea, getting the grommet in there may be a problem.
          Keep us informed on how it goes

Comment

The grommets came in today. It took some persuasion, but I was able to get the new water pipe installed in the midsection. Honestly, as much of a pain as this was, I'm not sure if tearing the motor down would have been any worse. Either way, its pumping water again, so I'm happy
            Last edited by MarshMarlowe; 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Excellent!

So the pipe went in from the BOTTOM, into the midsection grommit(like the parts fisch showed?)
              Scott

Comment

That's right Scott. Getting the new grommet set in place was the hard part. Inserting the pipe was easy

Comment

Thanks and congrates!

I wonder why, unless its a different design (or just easier access to the grommit), the powerhead has to be removed for other motors???

Anyone, Greasy or Rodbolt?
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X