How often do I need to run my yamaha f40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do I need to run my yamaha f40

Hi I have a 2008 yamaha f40bet carb version.

I have her on a 17ft fishing boat which is kept in the water (salt water)

I use the boat about once a month and normaly run the engine at idle for 5 mins at some point between.

So the engine normaly gets used about once every 2 weeks.

I use sea foam in the the fuel and run the carbs empty after each use.

The fuel tank comes home with me.

I have just bought a water fuel separator that I am about to install.

So my question is am I running the engine often enough?
    And does anyone have any tips to keep this engine running sweet

Anyone got any thoughts on this

Comment

I have no idea if seafoam is a good ethanol fuel stabilizer or not.

But running a motor often (every week or two)with good fuel is great for keeping carbs clean.

Also, running until motor dies does not get all of the fuel out of all of the carbs and lines.
      What is left in them will evaporate quicker as there is less of it in there and leave residue.

Use a good fuel stabilizer and leave the carbs full and run often to keep them full is what I would do

Comment

Seafoam is advertised to be a fuel stabilizer.

I would use it on the heavy side if not running the engine that often.

I do use Seafoam myself but mostly for storage purposes(teaspoon or two in the top end of an engine).

Your fine using that.

Yamaha makes a product called "Ringfree" which is a fuel system and top end cleaner (not a stabilizer). It works extremly well and will help considerably to keep those little jets in the carb from clogging up.. 1oz/ 10 gallons, but again, you can run it on the heavy side. Highly recommended(much cheaper and easier than pulling carbs to clean them).

And lastly, if they have a fresh water flushing device to hook to your powerhead, use it or install and use it. Salt water, without flushing, is a major issue down the road. Flush it religiously (if possible) and you'll have much less issues with the cooling system/block, etc...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Buy the Sta-Bil Marine at Walmart for about $15.....The newer version of the Yamaha Ringfree has the fuel stabilizer built into it, but Ringfree is $57 per quart...great stuff, but expensive for your needs....I believe you need mostly the stabilizer....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Buy the Sta-Bil Marine at Walmart for about $15.....The newer version of the Yamaha Ringfree has the fuel stabilizer built into it, but Ringfree is $57 per quart...great stuff, but expensive for your needs....I believe you need mostly the stabilizer....
              Re the price, yes, the Ringfree is expensive, however its mixed at 1oz / 10 gallons. So that bottle is good for 320 gallons.. IME, I would keep away from Stabil. I've had lawnmower carbs start to varnish up (aluminum bowl) treated with Stabil in about a month and a half..

I just checked the bowl on a Honda 9 HP pressure washer engine, (10 years old) that I run Ringfree thru often. The inside of the carb looked brand new, absolutly NO varnish anywhere...

The Ringfree I have (older bottle) isn't a stabilizer, glad they got it as both thou!!!
              Scott

Comment

Yep, I use the Ringfree all the time in my C90 Yamaha....1999 and never a problem....maybe I better quit talking about it...it might blow up next week!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                  Yep, I use the Ringfree all the time in my C90 Yamaha....1999 and never a problem....maybe I better quit talking about it...it might blow up next week!
                  Naw!

If I knew about this product before I re-powered in 2007, I would probably still have my old 2 stroke, Evinrude 150 on my transom!
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X