Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9hp recoil starter springs

Hi guys.
    I have a late model, 9.9hp 4 stroke and the recoil starter has played up (rope not returning)
    I removed the recoil starter and found that the spring drive pawl (the big clip that works the throw out lever) had moved. It has 2 other springs attached to it as well.
    I have searched high and low to try and find out how these spring assemblies go back together, without any success.
    The recoil starter now allows the rope to recoil, but it will not throw out the little lever to engage the flywheel.
    The Yamaha parts web site shows these parts, as does the workshop repair manual, but it doesn't show how they go back together in the recoil starter unit.
    Can anyone advise how they should go back together, and what spring goes where?
    Better still, if someone can point me in the right direction for on line instructions, or even a photo, that would help enormously.

Thanks.

PS: The parts in question are shown here as parts 6, 10, 11 and 12.
    http://www.yamahaonlineparts.com/pag...9.9MSHD_-_2005)

its actually parts 11 and 12 I am having trouble with.
    Last edited by Sandpiper; 10-25-2014, 06:55 PM. Reason: Additional information

That link didn't work but this one does;

2005 F9.9MSHD Yamaha Outboard STARTER MH Diagram and Parts

Can you confirm which parts on this fisch are the issue?

Just as a side note, if you know roughly where the smaller springs go, if you look closely in that area, there should show some wear(from movement) and generally only go on one way. I'm not familiar with yours specifically. That #7 spring, likely has to go on one way and slip into a specific spot(probably part #27).
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the diagram. I didn't realise the Link didn't work.
      unfortunately this is not the recoil unit I have on my motor.
      I will post the photo diagram below.
      I did look for signs of wear on the unit, but because this is only an auxiliary Motor on my boat, the internals still look brand new. So I Cant see any wear Marks at all except for the throw out pin where it has engaged the flywheel.
      The picture on the left is the entire unit. The one on the right is a close up of the 2 springs I am confused about.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Sandpiper; 10-25-2014, 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Sandpiper View Post
        Thanks for the diagram. I didn't realise the Link didn't work.
        unfortunately this is not the recoil unit I have on my motor.
        I will post the photo diagram below.
        I did look for signs of wear on the unit, but because this is only an auxiliary Motor on my boat, the internals still look brand new. So I Cant see any wear Marks at all except for the throw out pin where it has engaged the flywheel.
        The picture on the left is the entire unit. The one on the right is a close up of the 2 springs I am confused about.
        Looking at the pic a bit larger (and in the order of the parts fisch),

#12 looks like an extension spring and hooks to #6, (about in the middle).

Spring #11 then hooks to #12.

It then hooks somewhere on the starter(I would think). Pay close attention when assembled, I'd think with the two springs in-line, there are some clearance issues (to likely clear some moving part).

Hope that helps..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-26-2014, 06:59 AM.
        Scott

Comment

All fixed

Thanks again for your advice Scott.
          Turns out part #6 had been damaged, not allowing spring 12 to fit properly.
          Once I replaced part #6, it all works as it should.

Thanks again for your help.

Garry

Comment

Originally posted by Sandpiper View Post
            Thanks again for your advice Scott.
            Turns out part #6 had been damaged, not allowing spring 12 to fit properly.
            Once I replaced part #6, it all works as it should.

Thanks again for your help.

Garry
            Excellent and congrates!! "Parts fisches" can be soo much help on occassion!!

And your welcome!
            Scott

Comment

Working...
            X