No announcement yet.

1986 pro v 150 replacement carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No not all are leaking but imo ain't no reason not to for 33 yr old seats. If one is bad then stands to reason that more are close. Kinda like just replacing one old tire with a new one while leaving the other old ones on. Best answer is for piece of mind.

Comment

I have to thank everyone for great ideas that y'all offer. Should get me new OEM needle valves in a couple days but meanwhile I took the advice to use valve grinding compound on my seats in the carbs. I used permatex brand. First thing I noticed was how ruff it felt kinda like little burs but couldn't see them at all. After doing each seat they felt very smooth and great improvement prior to starting. Then clean out good and polish with q tip and metal polish in a still. I took another needle valve that was not used in grinding and tried it in the seat. Very smooth feeling. Looking forward to trying the upside down test when the new needle valves get here. I can't yet say it made things better but staying hopefully.

Comment

I got the new OEM needle valves installed and floats set to 16.5mm . Before I set the floats I noticed they were way off. Don't know if I am loosing my mind and did them wrong last time or if the new needles got something to do with it. 2 of the 6 needle valves were different color than the OEM but side by side they all were close. Anyway after light grinding to the seats and new needle valves and all floats set to specs I sure look forward to getting it back on engine and trying it out. Oh ya BTW I let my son wipe off the bowl gaskets and I don't know what he used but man they were messed up. They shrunk and deformed but I had extras so all OK now. Still Gota Luv him.

Comment

Oh and I did the blow in test then upside down test and they stop and start correctly.

Comment

Sounds great!

BTW, the rubber (O-rings style if you would) gaskets, it's not un-common especially for older gaskets to warp and grow/shrink once out of the carb "grooves".
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks I think he used carb cleaner on them. They were new ones last time I took them apart. It is what it is just had not seen it before. Engine all back together and ready to pull it out and fire up. Did the sync and link again just to be sure. Will fine tune it with muffs then lake time. I learn something each time I take them apart. Me and them carbs got to know each other. I would still like to find another set of them for parts. Thanks again for all the advice I received. I will update after a lake trip.

Comment

If not sure a solvent will harm a oring gasket...for instance the carb bowl orings...use the fluid they are designed to stop leaking. In this case clean with gas.

Or test a small area with brake clean and see if it deforms the rubber...if not use it.

Generally Isopropyl Alcohol will not hurt any rubber. It is pretty much the only solvent you can clean the rubber parts on the brake system of your car.

Comment

Got to get it on the muffs and no leaks. Sounds so much better and even. Can't wait till I get in in the water and see the difference if any. Looking great so far.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    If not sure a solvent will harm a oring gasket...for instance the carb bowl orings...use the fluid they are designed to stop leaking. In this case clean with gas.

Or test a small area with brake clean and see if it deforms the rubber...if not use it.

Generally Isopropyl Alcohol will not hurt any rubber. It is pretty much the only solvent you can clean the rubber parts on the brake system of your car.
                    what about e fuel?
                    read it is bad on rubber parts in motor systems

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

what about e fuel?
                      read it is bad on rubber parts in motor systems
                      Good point Yam...never thought of that. I don't have any E fuel here.

All the same I wouldn't think using E fuel would harm a oring in the time to take to clean a few parts...I believe from what I have read on here it takes considerable amount of time for that to happen. Others on here would know better then me.

However brake clean on certain types of rubber..especially older types.. can and will deform.

Comment

I was thinking more on being in contact with e fuel over a period of time while running the motor.
                        even with it on top of the bowl,it gets in contact with the fuel due to splashing and wicking up the sides.

E is bad, they cannot even pump it down pipe lines, but they force up to run it thru our motors

you have no e fuel there?
                        we only have one station close to me that has non e fuel available .
                        there are a lot of places that they can not get non e fuel
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 09-15-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I do believe he used carb cleaner and it was the next day I noticed they looked different. So after he did them and I was going to install the third day they had deformed and shrunk. This is the gasket between the bowl cover and carb body.

Comment

Well the final report is great. After the new OEM needle install and the light grinding of the seats with valve grinding compound and resetting the floats this engine has never ran as good since I have had it. My 150 pro v is purring and thank everyone for the advice and direction to go. I am very happy with the final result. This 33 year old motor has New life.

Comment

Working...
                            X