F150 steering swivel tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 steering swivel tube

06 F150 has stiff steering. I took care of the hydraulics last year and have determined that the issue is inside the tube . I have been adding grease and using a heat gun trying to loosen it . It seems to be getting a little better, but my question is this ; is there a way to flush all the old crappy grease out of the tube ? I saw a video where someone used WD in a grease gun , but I wasn't picking up.what he was putting down . Thanks for your help

The grease is probably coming out of just the top of the tube. When you get clean grease out of the top you will need to block it off with a rag wrapped tight to force it out of the bottom and of course keep using heat

Comment

Its actually coming out the bottom so I'll wrap the rag there and keep turning . Thanks

Comment

Saw a video where someone filled a pump yard sprayer with solvent. Paint thinner? Removed the zerk fitting and injected through the hole. Probably a long messy process.

Comment

Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
          Its actually coming out the bottom so I'll wrap the rag there and keep turning . Thanks
          It usually gunks up at the bottom... But as noted, using a rag usually works.

What I did for my F150 is clean all grease away(top and bottom). I used an old T-shirt and literally wrapped it around the "good end"
          of the swivel tube and pull it as tight as possible-That helps to push the new grease to the gunked up end.

Having a really good grease gun and fitting (tight fit, no leaks) is also critical to be successful.. Any leaks at the fitting will hamper your work..

Once opened up, I would strongly recommend Yamahas grease. It's not much more than off the shelf grease and definitly won't clog like non-Yamaha grease later..

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X