1996 225 bogs at 1200 rpm then “takes off”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 225 bogs at 1200 rpm then “takes off”

my motor will start, idle fine but when I begin to add throttle around 1200 to 1300 rpm the motor will begin to bog down. It seems when I prime the ball it will catch up and take off and run fine. Once the throttle is placed below 1200 rpm I’ll have to prime the ball again to get it to “take off”. I’ve changed the primer balls and fuel filters and the motor continues to do the same thing. I’m in the process of checking the low pressure fuel pumps but they seem to be fine? Any ideas of what to check next

sounds like the pumps cannot keep the fuel levels in the carbs up at low RPM or they are sucking air

might stick a clear hose in before the pumps or after to see if you can see air bubbles

I would just replace the LP pumps if you have not replaced in in awhile,
    or you can take apart and look for problems
    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-17-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I’m in the process of cleaning the carbs and have found several hoses with cracks near the fittings, I’m hoping this is the problem I’ll let you know if fixes it. So I should just put a clear hose on the “out” side of the low pressure fuel pumps?

Comment

no, on the suction side,
        but I guess you could on the pressure side also, there is not much pressure there.
        that is just for testing ,not permanent.
        not sure what clear hose is rated at.

I believe Rodbolt has mentioned in the past that those older big motors liked to eat LP pumps so he changed them every few years

Comment

Ok thanks for your help I got it all back together and will run it tomorrow. The ball stays hard now once the carbs are primed. I’m wondering if maybe one of the floats stuck? Would a stuck float cause it to act like this? When it would bog down was only when in gear and passing 1200 -1300 rpms, when it was out or gear it would rev up to 4K no problem

Comment

how would a stuck float affect the motor only at a certain RPM?
            motor does not need much when no load on it

Comment

Oh I’m not sure that’s why I was asking, didn’t know if when throttle was increased and the fuel level in the bowl dropped and the float was stuck “up” as if it was full of fuel. I’m going to go try it here in a few hours

Comment

So if anyone has this issue what I did to make it run perfectly now, not totally sure what fixed it. I pulled all 6 carbs cleaned them completely I did find one of the floats “sticking”. I pulled all 3 LP fuel pumps and pressure checked them which checked good. I checked all fuel connections and tighten any that were loose. There were two fuel hoses that had small slits in them due to being tightly bent to make a connection so I replaced them with new hoses (they didn’t appear to be leaking). I just got back from the water and it runs as it should. Absolutely no hesitation on acceleration between 1200 -1300 RPM.

Comment

Working...
                X