Yamaha Oil Gauge Sender Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Oil Gauge Sender Wiring

Hi everyone. I recently replaced an old '87 200 HP 2 stroke Yamaha with a newer '90 225 HP 2 stroke Yamaha (both are 2.6 L motors). I noticed that the oil sender on the oil motor had only 2 wires (both green) while the newer '90 had 4 wires (greens and yellows with differentiating coloured stripes). I understand that these are for monitoring the remote oil reservoir level on the Yamaha Multifunction tach and I want to get it working (my old 200 was pre-mixed but now I want to use the oil injection on the 225). My question is why are there 4 wires on the 225 and only 2 on the 200 and what are the extra wires for? Also the sender wiring up to the tach only uses 2 wires.

Last item for background info is that the 225 is equiped with the electronic / computerized ignition system while the 200 did not.

Originally posted by dubber View Post
    Hi everyone. I recently replaced an old '87 200 HP 2 stroke Yamaha with a newer '90 225 HP 2 stroke Yamaha (both are 2.6 L motors). I noticed that the oil sender on the oil motor had only 2 wires (both green) while the newer '90 had 4 wires (greens and yellows with differentiating coloured stripes). I understand that these are for monitoring the remote oil reservoir level on the Yamaha Multifunction tach and I want to get it working (my old 200 was pre-mixed but now I want to use the oil injection on the 225). My question is why are there 4 wires on the 225 and only 2 on the 200 and what are the extra wires for? Also the sender wiring up to the tach only uses 2 wires.

Last item for background info is that the 225 is equiped with the electronic / computerized ignition system while the 200 did not.
    Over the years Yamaha has used many different configurations for engines and instruments. It is useless to try and compare one model year to another model year. Early engines had limited gauge output data whereas later models offered more information. Then to some extent Yamaha has regressed and with the very latest models offers less gauge information than they offered in the past. Seems they can't make up their minds.

Once the specific model of the motor that one is going to use is known, and once the specific type of gauges that one wants to use are known, it is fairly simple to come up with the harnesses that interface the two together.

Comment

Yes I understand and agree about the different configurations. That said this is exactly what I am trying to sort out. I have a 225ETLD and the gauge is the Yamaha multi-interface digital tach. When I look on the back of the tach I see the 2 green wires that come from the motor but it doesn't look like there are any other connection points for these extra yellow wires. I am looking to get this going and interested to learn what these yellow wires on the motor harness are.

Comment

Do you have any idea as to how many digital multifunction tachometers there have been over the years?

Forget the motor for a moment. What wires do you see that come from only the tachometer itself?

What are the colours and what types of connectors are on the ends of those wires? Bullet connectors or nylon connectors?

Are the nylon connectors round or square.

A photo would be worth a million words. Photo of the face of the tachometer and of the wires coming from the back.

Comment

Nope - no idea how many multi type gauges there have been. No problemo, I will post pics.

Comment

Ok here you go for photos of the tach front and back.

Not a good photo but this is the harness on the motor - green wires are hidden but they are there.

Comment

Nylon connector on the motor is round. I am changing it over to square though to match my boat.

Comment

There probably is a adapter that would do that, Boscoe99 should come back on this soon

Comment

------------------
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 08-30-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you. This is handy but doesn't fully answer the question. I usually solder and shrink tube and make it all pretty. I may source out these connectors though if I don't get my hands on others.

My original question was that my motor has 4 wires (2 yellow and 2 green) for this sender wiring. My boat / tach only has 2 yellow wires. What are the green wires and what do I lose by not having them hooked to a gauge?

Comment

Second question - what dip switch settings on the tach are required to properly display the trim setting?

Comment

Second question - what dip switch settings on the tach are required to properly display the trim setting?

Comment

Thank you. This is handy but doesn't fully answer the question. I usually solder and shrink tube and make it all pretty. I may source out these connectors though if I don't get my hands on others.

My original question was that my motor has 4 wires (2 yellow and 2 green) for this sender wiring. My boat / tach only has 2 yellow wires. What are the green wires and what do I lose by not having them hooked to a gauge?
                          Functionality is lost. Depending upon the wire colour you will lose trim information, the flashing over temperature warning icon, the flashing low boat mounted oil tank caution notice or the flashing low engine mounted oil tank warning notice.

Comment

myself?
                            I would simply purchase the round to square adapter and a new trim/oil warning harness and its plug and play.

otherwise I would have to purchase the correct service manual and hunt down the wire colors for that antique.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              Functionality is lost. Depending upon the wire colour you will lose trim information, the flashing over temperature warning icon, the flashing low boat mounted oil tank caution notice or the flashing low engine mounted oil tank warning notice.
                              Yes I understand that functionality is lost. What I would like to know is what functionality. Can you clarify what the green pair and separately what the yellow pair of wires on the motor represent?

Also thank you for posting info on the dip switches. Exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X