Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F60 2006 slight prop movement up and down

I just noticed that I have very light movement on my 2006 F60
    It is making faint click clic sound moving it up and down but not left and right.
    Same if I grab the shaft directly by the prop nut.

Is this bad bearing ?

Thanks

Sounds like it..

Might want to pull the prop and check for slop directly from the prop shaft. Any play up / down etc needs further looking into.

I'd address it ASAP as if the bearing further goes bad, damage can occur to the gears, etc, the guts of the LU..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

and the housing too

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        Sounds like it..

Might want to pull the prop and check for slop directly from the prop shaft. Any play up / down etc needs further looking into.

I'd address it ASAP as if the bearing further goes bad, damage can occur to the gears, etc, the guts of the LU..
        Thanks for your reply !
        That's unfortunate, right in peak of the fishing season
        Strange that it's only up and down motion.

Comment

Removed the prop and I can feel (more like hear the slight click) very slight movement in all directions ( left,right, up and down) now.
          Can someone experienced help me with what parts should I order to do the job?
          https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1
          Should I replace both bearings? 44 and 48?
          Do I need any special tools?
          Nearest Yamaha repair shop is far away and I would have to leave it there for while.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

it needs to come apart to see what is going on ( what is bad) before ordering parts.
            could be just wrong shims if just worked on, but if it was tight before then something has happened

have you had this motor for some time and it is just now you noticed this ?
            have you found any metal in the lower unit lube?

Comment

Once again many thanks for the help!
              I'm the original owner since it was new, this motor is without glitch and I love it!
              Now 1650 hours, I do oil changes every 100 hours, did one preventive impeller change.
              Never any metal particles in the lower unit oil. Never noticed this, before, but I never tried neither.
              I thought those shims are for adjusting movement in and out? There is zero play that way.

Comment

you might find another motor like yours and see if their prop shaft does the same as yours before doing anything to yours

Comment

That's good idea! It won't be easy, Evinrude country here

Folks, none with F60 who can check?

Comment

Someone with a F60 may come along and see your thread, but who knows when

I know my 1999 C40 has no movement, and I would think all lower unit would be made about the same.

looking at the parts diagram for your motor, the prop shaft surface where the needle bearing(or roller bearing) rides on it could be a problem.
                    the bearing itself, or the housing it fits into.
                    then you have 2 ball bearings , the inner and outer races or the balls.

maybe the fit into the housing.

I would think the ball bearing would cause slop in all directions if it was in the places the balls ran

probably need to pull the prop shaft and carrier housing to inspect things.
                    corrosion usually sticks the housing so heat a a slide hammer could be needed

Comment

You shouldn't have any play /slop in the prop shaft.

Agreed, your going to have to pull the carrier and start looking for a bad bearing. The prop shaft shouldn't move in the bearing at all (and if it isn't, should be fine).

Your correct on the shim's, their for setting backlash, nothing to do with up and down slop / wear..

Most likely it's the bearing(s) right under the seals (under the prop). That's what supports the prop shaft-literally..
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        You shouldn't have any play /slop in the prop shaft.

Agreed, your going to have to pull the carrier and start looking for a bad bearing. The prop shaft shouldn't move in the bearing at all (and if it isn't, should be fine).

Your correct on the shim's, their for setting backlash, nothing to do with up and down slop / wear..

Most likely it's the bearing(s) right under the seals (under the prop). That's what supports the prop shaft-literally..
                        To get Yamaha parts here is not easy, that's why I'm hesitant to take it a part before I get parts in, since it will take weeks just to get the parts.
                        I think I should replace both seals at the same time while at it even they do not leak now. ( will also order the 2 + 1 O rings)
                        Would it be easier to order the whole bearing carrier housing, or I should be able to remove the old bearings without much problem?
                        As 99yam40 mentioned about the corrosion will this be problem even I boat in fresh water and boat is taken out every time?

Also wondering how could this happen? Could it be just regular wear?
                        Last edited by lifeisfun; 08-01-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I never dealt with a fresh water motor, so I cannot say if they get corrosion around the housing/orings and stick it in lower unit.
                          maybe none.

Walley may need to chime in, he is up around freshwater boats

a service manual for the motor being worked on is needed, it will tell what tools and steps/procedures are needed,
                          a good access to tools or ability to make some could be needed.
                          you know someone with welding machines and metal turning lathe?

Comment

More and more this looks like you need bunch of special tools
                            I guess this yamaha manual shows all tools needed for the job.
                            Quality of the video is not the best, and in language I don't understand but it's self explanatory.
                            https://youtu.be/BmoDIegkA8M

I wish it would be possible to purchase refurbished assembled bearing carrier housing, and return the old for discount
                            like they do with some automotive parts .

Comment

I'm guessing that bearing #45, 49 and seals is what'll be needed (that's W/O inspecting):
                              https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1

Your carrier obviously needs to come out and those bearings replaced.

**That video goes WAY deeper than you need to. Their tearing the entire unit apart.

Do a search on You Tube for "Danger Marine". He has a bunch of videos there, explained in plain English for the layman..

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X