Randomly blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randomly blowing fuses

I have a 2013 F50 four stroke, I bought it used twi years ago on a new boat from aYamaha dealer, it was and still is in excellent shape, starts easy, runs strong, and I have really enjoyed that motor. It is on a 2016 Alumacraft Classic 165 tiller fishing boat, the combo is awesome. Last week while in northern Ontario on a fishing vacation it blew a fuse, top centre on the top of the motor in a yellow fuse bracket, this is the main switch and trim fuse. We put in the spare fuse and carried on fishing for the rest of the day with no problems, the next day it blew two more fuses. The only thing I can find wrong is one wire going to the gauge cluster has a little bare spot on it where it passes through an access hole, we covered up the bare spot after the first blown fuse. I am home now and can not figure out what is causing this problem, any ideas before I take it to the dealer tomorrow?

how did you cover the bare spot on the wire?
    very possible that did not hold up and it shorted out again

Comment

Not sure what it is called but it is similar to hot melt glue, it is designed for covering bare wires and such, I did check it several times and it seems fine. I am going to take it off and replace it with a water proof butt connector.

Comment

a stiff connector in a place that bends is not a good thing.
        might replace the wire or at least a larger section of the wire, and look for other bad wires of spots while doing it.

heat shrink tubing or several layers might be a good idea if you cut the wire and can get it on

Comment

Working...
        X